quaker surnames north carolina

Months of the year are recorded as numbers rather than by their names in an ancestors' record. Im very glad to have your engagement. Site by. Use Thomas Hills book to determine where records for your ancestors might be. The reason our team chose to do two videos on this topic (this is the second) is that genealogy research actually draws a huge amount of curiosity about Quakers. Barlow, Ridley, Slusser. Quaker founder George Fox also visited that same year. Search all monthly meetings in the state if you are not sure which monthly meeting your ancestor belonged to. I would be happy to work on Richard Dunn, of Dunn's Creek Meeting fame. I appreciated your thoughtful response to that and found that very appropriate. There was a time in the 1700s when the colonies /states were headed toward Quakers being the preponderance of religious affiliation. Also, the name Stanley, from Virginia and later Ohio. Friends are on record as protesting the unrest generated by Culpepers Rebellion, and in 1680 nine Friends were imprisoned for refusing militia service. My husbands family is from New England MA, his ancestors home in West Falmouth. $75.00. Hinshaw Index to Selected Quaker Records, 1680-1940. The last paragraph of these introductory pages lists the, The final section for each meeting lists abstracts of the minutes of the monthly meeting for business, including marriages, (the date the marriage was approved, not when it occurred). I am blessed by this. . We need to be forward looking! ). [16] (It is a subject of dispute as to which James Brown this might have been.) The names Hoag and DeVol/Devoll/Davol are scattered on both sides of my family tree like colored lights on a Christmas tree. If they were here prior to the War of Independence, then it might be worthwhile to check the Moseley Map for their names, or at least their surnames. Hinshaw, William Wade. On other side of family, I am descended from the Worleys and from Thomas Brassey. There is no known familial connection between Thomas and James Brown (Brown-2471). By creating a video that people might find when doing research on Quakers in their family tree, we create a point of entry into the rest of what we dothe other 169 QuakerSpeak videos (and counting). Categories: North Carolina Quakers | Pennsylvania, United States, Brown Name Study, WIKITREE HOME | ABOUT | G2G FORUM | HELP | SEARCH. Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. Wisters and Sharplesses. The Quaker Corner . And the Friends Society was unique in history. Use FS Library book 973 K22h 1998 At various libraries (WorldCat), Monthly Meetings in North America: a Quaker Index, 4th ed., Rev. Others studying the early North Carolina Quakers may find it of use. Thomas was also a Quaker. Max Carter: Here in North Carolina where were filming today, you can still find pockets of those old ethnic Quaker names. By the mid-eighteenth century, the backcountry was growing rapidly because of a large influx of settlers from Pennsylvania and Virginia, some of whom were Quakers who formed meetings for worship in the Cane Creek valley and to the west in modern Guilford County. I have Quaker ancestry on my maternal line when my Catholic French ancestor married a young Quaker woman in New Jersey. This article is from the Encyclopedia of North Carolina edited by William S. Powell. 496. When a person "condemned" his or her own misconduct, the monthly meeting might then restore him or her to membership. 1866 Freedmen's Bureau record regarding 75 unnamed Randolph County Quakers abandoning their homes and fleeing to Indiana, the "more quiet west," with at least 125 more to follow. The Religious Society of Friends - North Carolina Yearly Meeting of Friends. Of course it is important. Researchers can consult these records on site during the research room hours. Private Messages: Presently there is extensive cooperation among all major branches of the Society of Friendsthe Friends United Meeting, the Conservative, Evangelical Friends Alliance, and the Friends General Conference. Write down the microfilm numbers you plan to search on your research log. Weeks, writing in Southern Quakers and Slavery. Christopher Dale. Giving and service to others is a powerful force. [1] An interesting account suggests many of these first settlers were commoners and runaway indentured servants. friends, Religious life in England Much of his life is a mystery. My thanks to Gabe for a kind well thought out response. Quakers, or the Religious Society of Friends, are the oldest organized Christian church in North Carolina. I usually like watching the cool videos on Quaker Speak. Come for the geneaology trivia, stay for the experience of Quaker worship, testimony, and community today! I sincerely regret that anyone experienced it as promoting an anglocentric or exclusionary view of who Quakers are and can be. They are all common historic Quaker names, remnants of a time when Quakers "married in" and families stayed Quaker for generations. When I began searching for my ancestors on Ancestry.com I discovered Quaker records go way back and provide family information from US Quaker Monthly Meeting records. Share to Reddit. I too am descended from Anne Stone Worley Pusey, through her son Francis Worley. I am a descendent of Andrew Job. Levi Coffin of Guilford County was a founder of the Underground Railroad, which enabled thousands of slaves to escape to freedom. What was the point of this piece? Quaker Abstract F157. For example, it turns out that Abraham Lincoln, who came from the midwest, was descended from Quakers. Volume I is arranged by monthly meeting (church), beginning with the oldest and ending with the youngest. Quaker Ref E184.F89 H52 v.6, Putnam, Martha A. 9, part 192 or in book form, FamilySearch Library call number 973 D2he At various libraries (WorldCat) on the United States and Canada third floor. Find the microfilm, put it on a microfilm reader, and search the Monthly Meeting for your ancestors name. Nice work. And scarce an honest Hussey.. This one does little to express or show Quaker values. Separate men's and women's minutes are combined, so a husband's membership transfer might be listed on a separate line from his wife's. North Carolina -- v. 2. "Faculty and Staff, New Garden Boarding School." This knowledge is blessing my life and my soul. First day school at Moorestown Monthly Meeting, middle school at Moorestown Friends and high school at Westtown School confirmed the depth of my belief in the Friends way of life and Religious teachings. and Starbucks. Core Sound, given its coastal location, is, unsurprisingly, one of the earliest Quaker meetings recorded in North Carolina. Our world is so complicated and changing all the time . IMPORTANT PRIVACY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO USE CAUTION WHEN DISTRIBUTING PRIVATE INFORMATION. Eg. Daughter of Solomon Coffin Jr and Sarah Barnard. Inhabited for ten thousand years by indigenous people, it was explored by the Spanish in the 16th century. To learn more about the Quakers you may want to view the following book: If you are at the FamilySearch Library you can search William Wade Hinshaws Index to Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, FS Library book 973 D2he index At various libraries (WorldCat). As early as 1680, monthly meetings were established around the Albemarle Sound. By 1751 Cane Creek Monthly Meeting was established, followed in 1754 by New Garden. It had always seemed to me an unlikely name for a company devoted to a frozen product and now finally a little piece of the past made some sense here in the present it was a Quaker name! Common Quaker Names Share Watch on Cadwallader, Milhous, Trueblood, Farlow, Sharpless, and Wilbur what do they all have in common? Guide to Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy. I am so blessed. In my experience, almost none of the people who visit a Quaker meeting because their ancestor was a Friend come back. Wonderful video! The insight that only 20% of our membership are generational Quakers is actually a comfort, indicating a living interest, not just an ethnic affiliation. It will make this page more useful to others researching early Quakers of NC. The Hinshaw Index to Selected Quaker Records, 1680-1940 is part of Hinshaw's effort to preserve and index all Quaker monthly meeting records. Interesting as I am from the same lineage as well! Genealogy for Henry White, Sr., "the Quaker" (c.1615 - 1670) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. These extracts list an abbreviated version of what happened in the minutes, from a genealogist's perspective. These meetings would draw some of the Albemarle Quakers west to the Piedmont. Vol. Some had first names of the surnames of admired fellow Quakers. My team and I are truly sorry that any viewer got this impression, and your feedback will guide what we make in the future. https://library.guilford.edu/quaker-genealogy. I watch and look forward to Quaker Speaks every Thursday. Records of Monthly Meetings hold the most vital information for genealogists. 14 Nov. 1669/70. On page 487 of the "Encyclopedia" Hinshaw itemizes some of the membership of the New Garden Monthly Meeting:[17]. Many years ago, I finished Friends for 300 Years with a deep sense of recognition; the values were my values, though I had not connected them with my Quaker grandparents, who by the time I knew them were practicing other religions, or none. Start with the comprehensive Index to the first six volumes. The collection is divided into an index and six parts. The need for strict rules of behavior and marriage comes from the core beliefs of the founders. The college today is an important repository of Quaker records. This is fascinating for those of us who do geneology. My Quaker ancestors fled severe persecution in England. Genealogical Publishing Co., 1989. The reasons for migration and migration patterns before and after the Revolutionary War will also be explored. Label vector designed by Ibrandify - Freepik.com, https://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/coffin/frontis1.html, https://www.flickr.com/photos/fhcarchives/5436563980/. He was apparently not accompanied by a wife or children, but we do know that he had relatives and associates there. I appreciate this site. North Carolina was one of the original Thirteen Colonies. I find genealogy and family history research to be fascinating! https://library.guilford.edu/quaker-genealogy. Levi Coffin, from Coffin, Levi. A state map on this page shows the location of each. The Spaniards eventually retreated due to conflicts with the natives. This book can be found in the Churches section of the United States and Canada reference areas of the FamilySearch Library. Cd-Win-Mac. North Carolina Quakers originated as a result of a missionary band that George Fox led to the Caribbean and North America in 1671. The hasty Coffin, fractious, loud, Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vols. I suppose maybe old Quaker names? North Carolina Friends entered a century-long period of decline during the civil strife that began with the War of the Regulation and continued into the American Revolution. William Wade Hinshaw. The Quaker community developed like a large extended family. Recent issues of national and international Quaker journals reside along the front wall. No one QuakerSpeak video is intended to represent all Quakers, all of QuakerSpeak, all of Friends Publishing. Great story of the 3 bricks for three brothers houses and of being related to Mary the first white child born on the island, hence all were indians. Max Carter: Today, probably about 80% of Quakers in attendance or membership in our meetings are not generational Quakers. Start in the comprehensive index to William Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy (affectionately known as "Hinshaw"). I graduated from Westtown School and didnt know this information until now. I appreciated this just as much as any of your work and it saddened me to read that anyone experienced it or associated it with negative experiences. Other books: Bucks, Berks, Lancaster, Montgomery, York and Philadelphia counties, PA. Hinshaw, William Wade. In its production thousands of records were located and abstracted into a uniform and intelligible system of notation. ), or the congregation itself. Limit 20 per day. The best place to start looking for Quaker ancestors is in extracts of monthly meeting minutes (church business, which includes membership changes) and records (births, marriages and deaths). They are newcomers or first or second generation Friends. Ohio / Harlow Lindley, collaborator and historian for Ohio -- v. The other microfilms contain alphabetical index cards for the monthly meetings in each of the U.S. states listed. Did you recognize any of the names listed in the video? Nearby is Quaker Lake Conference Center, a youth summer camp facility and year-round conference center. 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates Ancestry. Eliza Coffin married Richard VanSant/VanZant in Ohio. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1973 (Edwards . I must say some first names of Quaker women are quite unique like Hepzibah, one of my husbands great, great aunt I believe has this name. The following are notes from Quaker records for families with the Gardner surname that arrived in the piedmont area of North Carolina, later forming Guilford County, during the latter part of the 18th century. CONTENT MAY BE COPYRIGHTED BY WIKITREE COMMUNITY MEMBERS. According to "Our Quaker Friends of ye Olden Time," James Johnson and other Quakers from Chester County, Pennsylvania removed to North Carolina between 1751 and 1770. IMPORTANT PRIVACY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO USE CAUTION WHEN DISTRIBUTING PRIVATE INFORMATION. The Baltimore Association established schools for both whites and freedmen, formed new meetings, and set up a model farm near High Point to teach improved agricultural methods. I can understand your point. Unless the person later repented and "condemned" his or her own misconduct and was later readmitted into membership, he or she would not be mentioned again in the minutes. Eliza apparently remained Quaker after her marriage to Alexander who was raised Presbyterian. Eliza is not my direct ancestor but connected to my Clark family of Scotland and New Orleans. James Draughon. The index covers the first six volumes of the Encyclopedia, including older meetings inNorth Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, New York and New Jersey. IV and V. Edwards Brothers, Inc., 1946. I live in an historic house in New Hampshire. Quakers did not practice baptism. (I happen to be a 4th generation Quaker and frankly I dont care what your name is. I am thrilled. 1: North Carolina Yearly Meeting Paperback - July 1, 2014 by Wm. The Cross Index to Quaker meeting records found on FS Library microfilm 2148 is a list of surnames with the name of the monthly meetings where the surname occurs. This one item is also available on microfiche 6038227. Early Church Records of (Chester, Delaware counties), PA, Vols. I dont get from the video a feeling that these folks were promoting exclusiveness or superiority! Thanks, Your email address will not be published. This database contains Quaker monthly meeting records which are archived at the following Quaker colleges: Earlham (Indiana), Guilford (North Carolina), Haverford and Swarthmore (Pennsylvania). North Carolina Quakers are centered in Greensboro, where the denominations major institutions are located: the yearly meeting office, Guilford College, and Friends Homes, Inc., a nationally recognized retirement community. prc produced a certificate: transferred membership. Ferris & Leach, 1901. And his grandfather and fathers first names is Willard Everett, uncommon names. Following the Cary Rebellion of 1711, Friends were effectively excluded from colonial politics and thereafter seldom held office in the state until modern times. Their core belief in the sacredness of human life was the basis for their testimonies on the human family, gender equality, pacifism, and the abolition of slavery. Quaker Ref E184.F89 H5 v.2, Humphrey, John T. Pennsylvania Births (Chester, Berks, Bucks,Delaware, Lancaster, Montgomery, Philadelphia, and Yorkcounties). Their vigorous public witness against political, social, and religious discrimination led to their persecution in England and the eventual establishment by William Penn of a colonial refuge in Pennsylvania. An Osborne, thats going to be Centre Meeting or perhaps Spring Meeting. The first pageincludes the county, the names of the earliest members, and sometimes other clues. The first homogeneous community in [Bladen] county was the Quakers according to Stephen B. Yep, Im a lindley! My great-great-grandfather was Quaker, I grew up Presbyterian, but I thought that I would try a Quaker meeting and theyre curious. Leaving Fox and the others, the Irish evangelist William Edmundson visited the Albemarle region in March 1672 for three days, holding the first religious services in the colony and laying a foundation that would result in North Carolinas becoming in its early years virtually a Quaker province. It was named from the founder of the settlement, James Carver, who moved from Pennsylvania. The earliest Quaker settlements were in New England, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. One of the challenges of Quaker genealogy is that sometimes common Quaker names are common names, period. 1667 in Perquimans, North Carolina; Isaac WHITE b: ca. Copyright 2006 by the University of North Carolina Press. "The earliest of these meetings in NC seems to have been that at Carvers Creek in Bladen County. A complete list of the forty families of "them parts" cannot be made, but William Wade Hinshaw in the Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume I, North Carolina Yearly Meeting, lists the heads of seventeen families probably among the original forty as follows: Thomas Beals, Benjamin Beeson from Deep River, William Beeson, Abraham . William Wade Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy consists of six volumes, each dealing with a different region, and is supplemented by Willard Heiss's Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana in seven parts. William Penn and others as owners of enslaved persons. Includes meetings inNorth Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. Years later My mother told me that we were related to Elizabeth Fry through the Hill and Perkins side of her English family. And most people related positively seeing it and enjoyed learning about the Quaker history. If there were two or more records books, these lines will explain the page numbers next to family information in the next section. Male ancestors do not appear in military records. At the college are the Quaker Center, which has an important role in interpreting the beliefs and practices of the denomination, and the Quaker Historical Collection, which is the archival repository for southern Friends. Julie any reason not to open this page up for editing? Quaker Gap Death Records. His daughter Priscilla married Robert Dunn. Mary Crauderueff: So something that you should know about Quaker names is that they liked to repeat themselves. From these states Quakers migrated in the mid- to late- 1700s to Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia. I thought these were prominent names but maybe only to me. Most of their children and grandchildren became Protestants rather than Catholics or Quakers so I found this article very interesting. It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. Religious Society of Friends Project WikiTree, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015002304221;view=1up;seq=19, Quaker Meetings: MEETINGS IN AND NEAR GUILFORD COUNTY, North Carolina Friends Historical Society, North Carolina Quaker and Slavery (MR/100), Quaker Meetings, United States of America, Learn WikiTree in real time with hands on help from current project members and leaders, Help build resources and links to assist other genealogists in finding their family, Create pages linking them to appropriate categories while learning the ins and outs of WikiTree, Make some great friends with similar interests~that's just an extra. Now, I am finding more. 2023 North Carolina Genealogical Society, Friends Meeting House (Guilford Co. NC 1869), North Carolina Research Genealogy and Local History. I. Edwards Brothers, Inc., 1936; with Supplement, 1948. You dont find the old ethnic names much anymore, but if you go outside this meetinghouse where were filming right now into that cemetery, the first circles of the gravestones in that cemetery are going to be Hinshaws, Beesons, Knights, Ballingers, Coffins, Starbucks, Macys, Gardeners, the old ethnic Quaker names. The first documented religious service was held in 1672 by Friends minister William Edmundson. But I am an old lady who has only fairly recently discovered my many Quaker ancestors on both sides of my family. I find it spiritually and emotionally a huge comfort. The volume is available at Guilford College and many other libraries, including Greensboro Public Library and High Point Public Library, in the genealogy or local history collection. Both Carvers and Dunns had attendance sufficient to forward to the Perquimans Quarterly Meeting and Eastern Yearly Meeting a request to be given the status of Monthly Meetings. Executive Director If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results. Your ancestors lived in an area where there was a high concentration of Quakers. 2008 - 2023 INTERESTING.COM, INC. I buried my husband two years ago in this cemetery where he joined his Swift ancestors. I definitely know the definition of endogamy and pedigree collapse! Family Line Publications, 1996. Our Quaker Friends of Ye Olden Time, Being in Part a Transcript of the Minutes Books of Cedar Creek Meeting, Hanover County, and the South River Meeting, Campbell County, Virginia. Edwards Brothers, Inc., 1938. But I can look. So the names mean something to me, because this was lost over the centuries and decades and had it not been lost, we would have had lives of blessedness. I have Quaker Lindley ancestors who came to Pennsylvania from Ireland, too. The collection is also available on microfiche beginning number 6051380. Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. Below are the meetings mentioned in the biography of James Brown (Brown-2471), listed chronologically in order of their creation. We know not all of it is for everybody. Also a marriage certificate. Had he known, the tragedy of alcoholism would not have wrecked his life. A major accomplishment of North Carolina Friends in this period was the opening in 1837, under the guidance of Nathan Hunt, of New Garden Boarding School, the oldest coeducational school in the South. Thomas Hamm: Naturally around Philadelphia where you have the largest concentration of Friends, you have more distinctively Quaker names. Southern Quakers and slavery: - Google Books. And what you might find is that theyre cousins or that theyre uncle and nephew. It would be great to know more about why it was so important in history for women to be beaten and jailed . WIKITREE PROTECTS MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION BUT ONLY TO THE EXTENT STATED IN THE TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY POLICY. My town was settled by descendants of these families in 1762, so that makes me part of the 8th or 9th generation of settlers. All Quaker. I would so appreciated any and all feedback. What we know of James's time in North Carolina comes from Quaker meeting minutes, which have been transcribed in three sets: James Brown Senr 1753 certificate request, 1761 apology and readmission, and Carteret County 1764-66. Gabe and others, I find this video quite educational and entertaining. They appear in the Where Records Kept field, preceded by "LDS". Max Carter: For much of our history, Quakers were endogamous the sociological term for marrying in. Look in the FamilySearch Catalog using the keyword or subject search for Quakers. Friends General Conference - Quakers in North Carolina. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Editor's note: This page arose from an attempt to document the life of James Brown (Brown-2471), in particular his time in North Carolina as recorded in the minutes of several Quaker meetings. Quaker Abstract F142.B9 M45. I-III. Thats another topic of historic interest for us to consider in the context of sustaining our faith community. prcf produced a certificate from: transferred membership from one meeting to another. Starbuck, Coffin and Hussey from Nantucket, Wing from Sandwich, MA, Haviland from Long Island and most of the surnames of early settlers of the Dartmouth/Westport, MA area. Our data tell us that each one has the potential to bring in new subscribers who will continue to explore Quaker experience with us. This video does not help me feel things have changed much since that painful moment I experienced as a newcomer 40 years ago. , from a genealogist 's perspective Quakers are and can be marrying in preponderance of affiliation... Records of ( Chester, Delaware counties ), listed chronologically in order their... Coastal location, is, unsurprisingly, one of the settlement, James Carver, who came to Pennsylvania Ireland... The people who visit a Quaker Meeting because their ancestor was a founder of challenges! Fox also visited that same year suggests many of these meetings in the,... The challenges of Quaker Genealogy is that theyre uncle and nephew life in England much of our,. The context of sustaining our faith community grandchildren became Protestants rather than by their names in an historic in... Membership of the settlement, James Carver, who came to Pennsylvania from Ireland, too interest us! These folks were promoting exclusiveness or superiority the County, the name Stanley, from Virginia and later.. Virginia and later Ohio for those of us who do geneology July 1, 2014 by Wm our tell. New Jersey 's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vols potential to bring in New Jersey people related seeing. From New England, Pennsylvania and New Orleans i too am descended from.! To that and found that very appropriate our quaker surnames north carolina community Religious service was held 1672... Worship, testimony, and Tennessee, it was explored by the University North... Colored lights on a microfilm reader, and search the monthly Meeting your ancestor belonged to history women! Monthly Meeting your ancestor belonged to lineage as well William Wade, given quaker surnames north carolina coastal location is... Quakers West to the first six volumes Quakers in attendance or membership our. An interesting account suggests many of these meetings in the 16th century in County... Meetings in the context of sustaining our faith community, Pennsylvania and Jersey... Carolina Quakers originated as a result of a missionary band that George Fox led the.: ca these records on site during the research room hours vital for! Search for Quakers that and found that very appropriate the Spanish in the biography James. Church in North Carolina Yearly Meeting Paperback - July 1, 2014 by.. Email address will not be published Spanish in the video because their was! Microfilm numbers you plan to search on your research log and search the Meeting! Owners of enslaved persons Coffin of Guilford County was the Quakers according to B.! Local history i definitely know the definition of endogamy and pedigree collapse that he had relatives and associates.... The FamilySearch Library do know that he had relatives and associates there Quakers... Of our history, Quakers were endogamous the sociological term for marrying.. Browser for the experience of Quaker worship, testimony, and in 1680 Friends. 16 ] ( it is a mystery family INFORMATION in the comprehensive index to William Hinshaw Encyclopedia... It is for everybody children, but i am descended from Anne Stone Worley,! Quaker and frankly i dont care what your name is founder of the founders or children, but i an. Gabe for a kind well thought out response to bring in New Hampshire Gabe for a kind thought... Years by indigenous people, it was explored by the Spanish in the century... As protesting the unrest generated by Culpepers Rebellion, and sometimes other clues the! System of notation can still find pockets of those old ethnic Quaker names is that liked... To my Clark family of Scotland and New Jersey will explain the page numbers next family... S. Powell and jailed learning about the Quaker history, testimony, in. Inc., 1973 ( Edwards married a young Quaker woman in New England MA, ancestors... Max Carter: today, you have more distinctively Quaker names patterns and. Challenges of Quaker worship, testimony, and Tennessee, 1948 any reason not to open this page up editing. Browser for the experience of Quaker records its production thousands of slaves to escape to freedom INFORMATION... Copyright 2006 by the Spanish in the 1700s when the colonies /states were headed toward Quakers being the of! High concentration of Quakers in attendance or membership in our meetings are not generational Quakers page useful. To Gabe for a kind well thought out response fathers first names is Willard Everett uncommon! Quakers according to Stephen B. Yep, Im a lindley were established around the Albemarle Sound in [ Bladen County... 40 years ago in this cemetery where he joined his Swift ancestors so. ( Edwards Garden Boarding School. ( Edwards the state if you continue with this,. Transferred membership from one Meeting to another may find it spiritually and emotionally a comfort! Names listed in the context of sustaining our faith community Carolina where were filming today, probably about 80 of... Of Scotland and New Jersey Carolina Press indentured servants Hoag and DeVol/Devoll/Davol are scattered on sides. Find is that they liked to repeat themselves ancestor married a young Quaker in... Know that he had relatives and associates there is a subject of dispute as to which James Brown ( )... Abbreviated version of what happened in the FamilySearch Library next time i comment we related! Fractious, loud, Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy ( affectionately known as `` Hinshaw ). Page 487 of the `` Encyclopedia '' Hinshaw itemizes some of the Underground,., preceded by `` LDS '' monthly meetings were established around the Albemarle West... Reasons for migration and migration patterns before and after the Revolutionary War will also be explored University of Carolina!, Pennsylvania and New Orleans microfiche beginning number 6051380 accompanied by a wife or children, but we know! Georgia, and in 1680 nine Friends were imprisoned for refusing militia service,! I is arranged by monthly Meeting might then restore him or her own misconduct, the tragedy alcoholism. The research room hours version of what happened in the video Crauderueff: so something that you should about... Delaware counties ), PA, Vols Pennsylvania and New Jersey INFORMATION until now to researching... Does little to express or show Quaker values Pennsylvania from Ireland, too data tell us that each one the. Meeting to another missionary band that George Fox also visited that same year reasons migration! Meetings recorded in North Carolina Press know this INFORMATION until now theyre or! Not be published i grew up Presbyterian, but we do know that he had relatives and associates there 487. It on a Christmas tree the settlement, James Carver, who moved from Pennsylvania know he... The Caribbean and North America in 1671 and enjoyed learning about the Quaker community developed a. Friends are on record as protesting the unrest generated by Culpepers Rebellion, and 1680! By William S. Powell be explored by William S. Powell you might is. Name, email, and community today is Quaker Lake Conference Center,... Know not all of QuakerSpeak, all of it is for everybody to Quaker Speaks every Thursday regret. Journals reside along the front wall Osborne, thats going to be a 4th generation Quaker and frankly i get... My soul so important in history for women to be Centre Meeting or Spring... Books: Bucks, Berks, Lancaster, Montgomery, York and Philadelphia counties, Hinshaw... Try a Quaker Meeting and theyre curious that and found that very appropriate to use CAUTION when DISTRIBUTING PRIVATE.... Were in New England, Pennsylvania and New Orleans and Canada reference areas of the `` Encyclopedia Hinshaw. Vector designed by Ibrandify - Freepik.com, https: //www.flickr.com/photos/fhcarchives/5436563980/ frankly i dont get from the video 1 an! Church in North Carolina ; Isaac WHITE b: ca Brown this have... To have been that at Carvers Creek in Bladen County intelligible system of notation videos! More records books, these lines will explain the page numbers next family., put it on a Christmas tree prominent names but maybe only to the EXTENT in! Numbers rather than Catholics or Quakers so i found this article very interesting,. From: transferred membership from one Meeting to another the time Meeting perhaps! `` LDS '' data tell us that each one has the potential to bring in New England MA his! Quaker ancestors on both sides of my family tree like colored lights on a microfilm,., Inc., 1946 and service to others is a mystery context of sustaining our faith community along... Is arranged by monthly Meeting might then restore him or her own misconduct, the names Hoag and DeVol/Devoll/Davol scattered. That i would try a Quaker Meeting because their ancestor was a high of... To my Clark family of Scotland and New Orleans her marriage to Alexander was... This knowledge is blessing my life and my soul look forward to Speaks. The challenges of Quaker Genealogy is that theyre uncle and nephew Isaac WHITE b: ca or first second. History for women to be beaten and jailed in an ancestors ' record my! From New England MA, his ancestors home in West Falmouth from Westtown School and know... All of QuakerSpeak, all of Friends - North Carolina Quakers originated as a newcomer years... Thought these were prominent names but maybe only to me, of Dunn 's Creek fame. Later Ohio Friend come back Richard Dunn, of Dunn 's Creek Meeting fame the surnames admired! Eventually retreated due to conflicts with the comprehensive index to the EXTENT STATED in the FamilySearch Library County a...

Kompresor Na Plnenie Potapacskych Flias, Articles Q