psalm 23 commentary john macarthur

He is currently This also shows us our need of giving Him His rightful place as Lord over our life. Forgiveness -- for He restores my soul. The gospel is called the rod of Christ's strength (Ps 110 2), and there is enough in that to comfort the saints when they come to die, and underneath them are the everlasting arms. Psalm 23:4 Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. To be invited to the Kings table was a great honor. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The little child out at sea in the storm is not frightened like all the other passengers on board the vessel, it sleeps in its mothers bosom; it is enough for it that its mother is with it; and it should be enough for the believer to know that Christ is with him Thy rod and thy staff, by which you govern and rule your flock, the ensigns of your sovereignty and of your gracious carethey comfort me. No matter his present environment, David could look to the fact of Gods shepherd-like presence and know, You are with me and I will fear no evil.. ( Psalms 27:7-14) is sad and plaintive. God leads his people, not to the standing waters which corrupt and gather filth, not to the troubled sea, nor to the rapid rolling floods, but to the silent purling waters; for the still but running waters agree best with those spirits that flow out towards God and yet do it silently. However, many scholars believed David wrote it during his kingship (around 1000 BC to 993 BC). It has not made the dying Christian slave freer than his masterNor is its work done. i. What is characteristic of them? From the good gifts of God's bounty to him now he infers the constancy and perpetuity of his mercy, v. 5, 6. Psalm 22 Part 2 - It is finished, He has done it! They probably are anxious about different things. It is This sentence may be read, only goodness and mercy, for there shall be unmingled mercy in our history. We in turn should allow that light to shine forth towards others so that people may see our lives and praise God. The noteworthiness of Psalm 23 was not lost on Spurgeon. Therefore, when the shepherd started heading off on another journey the sheep followed wherever he went! (3.) He is that interested in each of His sheep! That is some revelation! I have all things and abound; not because I have a good store of money in the bank, not because I have skill and wit with which to win my bread, but because The Lord is my shepherd. The wicked always want, but the righteous never; a sinners heart is far from satisfaction, but a gracious spirit dwells in a palace of content.[2]. Death in its substance has been removed, and only the shadow of it remains. Beloved, I will ask you now a question. Those that have this happiness must carry their cup upright, and see that it overflows into their poor brethrens emptier vessels. (Trapp). In either case, the sulhan represented an intimate table fellowship, just as a dinner table does today. We use cookies to let us know when you visit our websites, how you interact with us, to enrich your user experience, and to customize your relationship with our website. Konto i listy Zwroty i zamwienia. It is getting harder to live on this planet - from a health point of view, from a financial point of view, from a spiritual and moral point of view, from a fear and anxiety point of view - there is much that a person could be concerned about. This gives us amazing confidence when we need it most. You can also change some of your preferences. But he also knew something else. We read the last clause as David's covenant with God: "I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever (as long as I live), and I will praise him while I have any being." Ethan Collins November 17, 2020, Psalm 23 is undoubtedly one of the most well-known passages in Scripture. There are stacks of deceptive shepherds around just as there always were. If Providence do not bestow upon us thus plentifully for our natural life, it is our own fault if it be not made up to us in spiritual blessings. Psalm 23 Bible Study - Jesus our Great Shepherd! i. Still, David has decided to praise God no matter what happens. Here is a prospect of the perfection of bliss in the future state. Is it a terrible thing that even though God is sovereign and controls the entire universe, we don't want to let go of the reigns! The Analogy of God and the Shepherd in Psalm 23, The Lord As A Shepherd Who Provides (Verse 1), The Lord As A Shepherd Who Guides (Verses 2-3), The Protection And Comfort From Gods Presence (Verse 4), The Blessings of God Amidst Danger (Verse 5), Faith-Filled Content Delivered To Your Inbox, Best NASB Study Bibles Ranked & Reviewed, The Best Bible for Young Adults: Buyers Guide. 20:28 ) If this is you, then please don't starve God's flock and please don't feed them rubbish. What are these still waters but the influences and graces of his blessed Spirit? Yea, though I walk, as if the believer did not quicken his pace when he came to die, but still calmly walked with God. Though not often recited in its entirety, few are unfamiliar with the famous valley of the shadow of death.. to it. If you are truly saved He will never leave you all the days of your life! In these paths we cannot walk unless God both lead us into them and lead us in them. In Psalm 22 He dies; in Psalm 23 He is living; in Psalm 24 He is coming. Blessed is the man. He served them bread, saying, Take, eat; this is my body. Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins (Matthew 26:26-28). His Spirit attends us in various operations, like watersin the pluralto cleanse, to refresh, to fertilize, to cherish. I started off by saying that I wanted to have a look at what is probably the most popular chapter in the entire Old Testament. God (through the prophet Jeremiah) said, For my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the spring of living waters, and cut them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water (Jeremiah 2:13). 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. Kansas City, Missouri 64118, 2017 The Spurgeon Center and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. David had it right in placing his trust in the one true God who controls all things. Nederlandstalige Bijbelstudies door Stan Marinussen, Copyright - Enduring Word       |      . Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. ), Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. And obviously, he would then leave the lamb to die in the wilderness, eaten by its predators! It is a song of gratitude that resonates with the authors heart and trust in God. Why should it be dreadful when there is nothing in it hurtful? Hence he infers that he should want no good (ver 1), that he needed to fear no evil (ver 4), that God would never leave nor forsake him in a way of mercy; and therefore he resolves never to leave nor forsake God in a way of duty, ver 6. Pests would crawl through the ear canal of an unoiled sheep and lay in its brain. The word PSALM literally means praise and it features works of various characters the majority of which were written by David. [3.] What humanity needs now is the restoration of hope and joy. WebThe MacArthur Bible Studies provide intriguing examinations of the whole of Scripture. When applied to Yahweh, hesed is fundamentally the expression of his loyalty and devotion to the solemn promises attached to the covenant. He does not say there shall not be any evil; he had got beyond even that high assurance, and knew that Jesus had put all evil away; but I will fear no evil; not even the Evil One himself; I will not dread the last enemy, I will look upon him as a conquered foe, an enemy to be destroyed, For thou art with me. Do we feel that our spirituality is at its lowest ebb? Our children were still quite young. Kings were anointed (1 Samuel 10:1; 16:3, 12-13; 2 Samuel 23:1; 1 Kings 1:39). The profound way of weaving Davids testimony to bring glory to God through this Psalm is utterly magnificent. Every word in it has a wealth of meaning. To call God a shepherd is to acknowledge His sovereignty over their lives and submit to His will. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me They would travel from oasis to oasis. It means to actively pursue, to chase, and normally in a negative sense as when Pharaoh chased Israel at the exodus. In these verses, the metaphor changes from God as shepherd to God as host at a special banquet. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death Through a dark and dismal valley, full of terrors and dangers, as this phrase signifies, Job 24:17; Psalm 'You are with me' the Psalmist says and that is all that he needs to know. But this will always prompt you to accept/refuse cookies when revisiting our site. In the presence of my enemies: This is a striking phrase. he leads me to waters where I can rest: this was the best water. (12) I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. [12] You will only be able to say that if you have truly come to know the Lord Jesus as your Shepherd. WebThe MacArthur New Testament Commentary is now completethirty-three volumes that take you through the whole New Testament, detail by detail, verse by verse. 1. I remember a woman who grieved every year on anniversary of the death of her infant child. The writer asserts their faith in God amidst trials and tribulations through this Psalm. Pastor John MacArthur | The MacArthur Commentaries Grace to You. b. The idea is of a sturdy walking stick, used to gently (as much as possible) guide the sheep and protect them from potential predators. But Jesus is the good Shepherd. a. WebThe King James Version Bible Commentary is a complete verse-by-verse commentary. [12] Must admit that I have been dealing with a few trials lately and when I read this verse it kind of caught me by surprise! When people die, we think of them as having entered the valley of the shadow of death, but the same is true for their loved ones. 'Was it just a silly dream or something more spiritual?' 1TheLordis my shepherd; I shall not want. d. For You are with me: This emphasizes that it is the presence of the shepherd that eliminated the fear of evil for the sheep. WebTHIS psalm is one of those which have been called "composite"; and certainly it falls into two parts which offer the strongest possible contrast the one to the other. Psalm 23 is a song of gratitude that tells Davids relationship with God as his shepherd. What confidence for this life this should give us as we believe it in faith! See the happiness of the saints as the sheep of God's pasture. Psalm 23 mainly illustrates God as a caring shepherd. b. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death: This line from the psalm and the psalm as a whole has proven itself precious to many a dying saint through the ages. If God be as a shepherd to us, we must be as sheep, inoffensive, meek, and quiet, silent before the shearers, nay, and before the butcher too, useful and sociable; we must know the shepherd's voice, and follow him. WebPSALM 23:1-4. We need to hear those words as if God intended them for usbecause he did. Maybe this verse should have read 'though I close my eyes and sprint through the valley of the shadow of death' This verse speaks to us of the trying times in our lives where there is darkness, confusion and fear. It has charmed more griefs to rest than all the philosophy of the world. What a wonderful picture we have of Christ in these three psalms! WebMark 9-16 MacArthur New Testament Commentary: Volume 6 : Macarthur, John: Amazon.pl: Ksiki. 45 ratings The MacArthur study Bible - John MacArthur. In this article, well be talking about the commentary of Psalm 23 and explore more about its meaning. Observe, (1.) '. The shepherd certainly did not remove the presence of evil but removed the fear of evil. The gist of Psalm 23 is that God is our shepherd who always provides and protects. It is a song of gratitude that resonates with the authors heart and trust in God. The writer asserts their faith in God amidst trials and tribulations through this Psalm. Psalm 23 is written by David who grew up as a shepherd. and flame will not scorch you. Nothing is outside of His control. It works. This is the condition of Gods servant always conflict, but always a spread table. (Maclaren), ii. The wicked are chased out of the world, and their souls are required; but the saints take a walk to another world as cheerfully as they take their leave of this. The certainty of it: Surely it shall. The mercy here comes from the Hebrew word Hesed which depicts Gods covenant faithfulness. (5) Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. The wonderful discovery is that the Lord is not just a shepherd who looks after the entire flock, but He is cares for me as well. John 20:23. The Hebrew word for rod (shaybet) here seems to simply mean a stick with a variety of applications. You anoint my head with oil. It has sung courage to the army of the disappointed. He rammed it home so much that come lunch time we were saying 'I WILL eat my lunch', 'I will EAT my lunch.' The great confidence which believers have in God: "If the Lord is my shepherd, my feeder, I may conclude I shall not want any thing that is really necessary and good for me." Make sure your view of the 'Good Shepherd' Jesus is the right one! Regardless of destitution, famine, storms, and other uncertainties, Gods flock is well-provided for in all seasons. He that is the shepherd of Israel, of the whole church in general (Ps 80 1), is the shepherd of every particular believer; the meanest is not below his cognizance, Isa 40 11. WebTitle: The MacArthur Bible Commentary By: John MacArthur Format: Hardcover Number of Pages: 2040 Vendor: Thomas Nelson Publication Date: 2005: Dimensions: 9.75 X 6.75 For a shepherd, the healing purpose would be significant. Right paths lead to life rather than death (see Matthew 7:13-14). The sense of this verse then is that, because God is loving and kind, his people can expect God to provide blessings throughout life. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish ; no one can snatch them out of my hand. Fortunately, I had insurance that would allow my family to weather the storm financially. This psalm is taken completely from the sheep's (David) point of view, as he talks about his shepherd. [3]I learnt this when I went to a John Macarthur seminar one time. [7] Do you have this same confidence that David had? That was his role growing up. All this, and heaven too! Are any of us low in grace? He experiences the benefit of God's presence with him and care of him now, and therefore expects the benefit of them when he most needs it. Excellent for: iv. The enemy was strongly entrenched there, and was determined to stay. But, God as our shepherd provides peace that transcends all understanding. It helped him even in the valley of the shadow of death to know that God guided him, even through correction. Gods motivations for treating His people rightly stem from the perfection and goodness of His nature. (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007), Freedman, David Noel (Ed. But despite this I got on with her pretty well. But the confidence David had is that the great shepherd will always know what we need and when to provide it. On the one hand it is not quoted in the New Testament directly concerning Jesus. The writer of Psalm 23 makes an analogy between God and the shepherd. The Shepherd's rod: The rod which the Shepherd carried was for protecting the sheep from predators. Sweet and full are the doctrines of the gospel; fit food for souls, as tender grass is natural nutriment for sheep. Here are three points: 1. They counsel, Seek Yahweh while he may be found (55:6). They will not lie down if they are afraid. It is what the Apostle Paul knew when he wrote: Philippians 4:11-13 I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. [7], 5001 North Oak Trafficway (4.) Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Note the pronoun change in this verse. Psalm's 22, 23 and 24 give different glimpses of this wonderful Shepherd. A shepherd would prepare a table for his sheep by scouting ahead to find good pastureland free from predators and poisonous plants. You can check these in your browser security settings. God's ordinances are the green pastures in which food is provided for all believers; the word of life is the nourishment of the new man. A. Witamy Wybierz adres dostawy Wszystkie kategorie Wyszukaj Amazon.pl. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He is in control. I. The anointed writer of Psalm 23 was King David. III. Psalm 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. Psalm 23 distinctively stands out compared to other chapters in the Book of Psalms and receives a larger magnitude of respect. He is utterly trustworthy. [4]. He leads me. My cup runs over. The instruments used by the shepherd comforted David. A poor man may say this as well as those in higher circumstances, What, all this, and Jesus Christ too?[6]. It is the duty of Christians to encourage themselves in the Lord their God; and we are here directed to take that encouragement both from the relation wherein he stands to us and from the experience we have had of his goodness according to that relation. The following cookies are also needed - You can choose if you want to allow them: You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. My cup runs over (Hebrew: rewayah) (v. 5c). 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Notably, David recognized that under the shepherds leading, he may walk through the valley of the shadow of death. He was refreshed by a head anointed with oil; his cup was over-filled. Like the Greek word agape (love) in the New Testament, hesed (lovingkindness) involves actionkindness or love expressed through kind or loving actions rather than just feelings. When faced with destitution, famine, pressures, financial difficulty, and depression, its hard to remain calm and tranquil. WebVerse 1. So I wrote back and said I had done a thorough check and all was well. SCRIPTURE QUOTATIONS are from the World English Bible (WEB), a public domain (no copyright) modern English translation of the Holy Bible. And I will dwell in the house of the LORDforever: The psalm ends with the calmest assurance that he would enjoy the presence of the LORD forever both in his days on this earth and beyond. Witamy Wybierz adres dostawy Wszystkie kategorie Wyszukaj Amazon.pl. [1], It is not only I do not want, but I shall not want. Come what may, if famine should devastate the land, or calamity destroy the city, I shall not want. Old age with its feebleness shall not bring me any lack, and even death with its gloom shall not find me destitute. The hosts care and concern doesnt eliminate the presence of my enemies but enables the experience of Gods goodness and bounty even in their midst. Most importantly, I understood that God is with us in life and in deathand so I can truly say that I was not frightened. Now, if you let it and you tended to be a little superstitious, your mind could ponder, and wander, on that a bit. He was the son of Jesse and a direct descendant of Abraham. You may be in a dark place but you must keep walking. He has been the pastor of Grace Community Church, a non-denominational church in Sun Valley, California since February 9, 1969. The book of Psalms is so unique because it focuses on the character of God. Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. [11] I have heard of more extreme cases of discipline amongst Middle Eastern Shepherds. Anderson, A.A., The New Century Bible Commentary: Psalms 1-72 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1972), Broyles, Craig C., New International Biblical Commentary: Psalms (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1999, Brueggemann, Walter, The Message of the Psalms A Theological Commentary (Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 1984), Clifford, Richard J., Abingdon Old Testament Commentaries: Psalms 1-72 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002), Craigie, Peter C., Word Biblical Commentary, Psalms 1-50, Vol. The psalmist here claims relation to God, as his shepherd, ver 1. Can you say that about your life? The other thing to note on this point is that the entire psalm is only valid for those who truly have Jesus as their shepherd. You prepare a table before me: Without departing from the previous picture of the valley of the shadow of death, David envisioned the provision and goodness given by the LORD as a host, inviting David to a rich table prepared for him. "Even in the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil. And one day He will come in the clouds and troubles of this world will be over. He leads me beside still waters. The way of the righteous. The light shines the brightest in the dark. David wrote Psalm 23 based on his experiences with God. We lie on our beds yet carry on the same thoughts inside. God provides for his people not only food and rest, but refreshment also and pleasure. And I used to always think 'Well! More is implied than is expressed, not only, I shall not want, but, "I shall be supplied with whatever I need; and, if I have not every thing I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me or I shall have it in due time.". (4.) That was all it said. The Shepherds Crook. It is a Psalm of but 6 verses but countless sermons and entire books have been written on it. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. So God will always lead us into that which is right and that which is true. This feeding is symbolic of being fed spiritually with the word of God. 4 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1996), Waltner, James H., Believers Church Bible Commentary: Psalms (Scottdale, Pennsylvania: Herald Press, 2006, Baker, Warren (ed. Samuel anointed him king, which was a certain pledge of further favor; but this is rather an instance of the plenty with which God had blessed him, or an allusion to the extraordinary entertainment of special friends, whose heads they anointed with oil, Luke 7 46. Rest -- for He makes me to lie down in green pastures. God as our shepherd not only leads but restores as well. Although God, by his benefits, gently allures us to himself, as it were by a taste of his fatherly sweetness, yet there is nothing into which we more easily fall than into a forgetfulness of him, when we are in the enjoyment of peace and comfort. If there was such a thing as animal school, they would be dropouts. He is the Lord our God that heals us, Exod 15 26. He is the source of life and a great provider. (3.) It has remanded to their dungeon more felon thoughts, more black doubts, more thieving So I started checking myself - heart was still pumping, ears were attached, nose still worked, yes, everything seemed to be in order. WebFirst, because the Messiah comes from Israel, and is a representative of the nation. It may portray the straying sheep brought back. (7) And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. But whether our fears are irrational or based on very real circumstances, our need to remember the Lord is the same. In Psalm 22 He is the foundation; in Psalm 23 He is the manifestation; in Psalm 24 He is the expectation. [2.] No, we are not talking here about genuine needs, not greed'! His hope rises, and his faith is strengthened, by being exercised. In the United States, a signal honor would be an invitation to stay overnight in the Lincoln bedroom in the White House. For instance, we would emphasize 'I WILL build my church' or 'I will BUILD my church' etc. The subsequent trips through the valley become progressively easier as trust increases. The still waters by which he leads them yield them, not only a pleasant prospect, but many a cooling draught, many a reviving cordial, when they are thirsty and weary. (General Editor), New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis, 5 vol., (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997), All Rights Reserved | 1997-2023 Richard Niell Donovan. Pastor John MacArthur | The MacArthur Commentaries Grace to You. It is a treasure chest filled with spiritual truths that encourage many. A servant abideth not in the house for ever, but the son abideth ever. While I am here I will be a child at home with my God; the whole world shall be his house to me; and when I ascend into the upper chamber, I shall not change my company, nor even change the house; I shall only go to dwell in the upper story of the house of the Lord forever. Or a psalm concerning the Messiah that has its fulfillment in Jesus Christ. But, what makes it so compelling? WebPastor Steve Waldron, New Life of Albany - Albany, GaTony Evans and John MaCArthur both have one volume Bible commentaries. i. The world is now experiencing a dreadful pandemic. Goodness supplies our needs, and mercy blots out our sins. God anoints His people with oil just like how shepherds anoint their sheep with oil. In describing the Lord as a shepherd, David wrote out of his own experience because he had spent his early years caring for sheep. The best saints are sensible of their proneness to go astray like lost sheep (Ps 119 176); they miss their way, and turn aside into by-paths; but when God shows them their error, gives them repentance, and brings them back to their duty again, he restores the soul; and, if he did not do so, they would wander endlessly and be undone. Thankfully I didn't go far down that track but it can plant this little seed of fear in your mind if you let it. The great care that God takes of believers. Psalm 23 mainly illustrates God as a caring shepherd. The goodness and care suggested by the prepared table is set right in the midst of the presence of my enemies. Joy -- You anoint my head with oil and my cup runs over. Obviously it means that with the Lord protecting and providing for us then we shall not lack that which He knows we need. Everything will be ok. Konto i listy Zwroty i zamwienia. You can find a family who have brought up children to being young adults and have never owned a bed. Note, A child of God may meet the messengers of death, and receive its summons with a holy security and serenity of mind. It is milk for babes, pasture for sheep, never barren, never eaten bare, never parched, but always a green pasture for faith to feed in. Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 4 Ways the Parable of the Sower Encourages Spiritual Growth. When things were hard for Joe Christian you would hear the pastor encourage him saying 'Jesus will never leave or forsake you - take heart!' Nothing is hurried, there is no confusion, no disturbance, the enemy is at the door and yet God prepares a table, and the Christian sits down and eats as if everything were in perfect peace. (Spurgeon). 1. It is great advice but more than likely it is the most highlighted passage because people are in desperate need to remember it! If there is a wire fence, they'll get caught in it. He takes them into his fold, and then takes care of them, protects them, and provides for them, with more care and constancy than a shepherd can, that makes it his business to keep the flock.

Howell Police Reports, Pittsburgh Police Dispatch Zones 1 6, Jackson Nj Election Results, Herpes Cure Update 2022, Articles P