heartbreak ridge foothills trail

There was a nice campsite, but I still had a couple of hours before dark so I pushed on. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Around 13 miles into the run touch the bench on top of Heart Break Ridge at Lake Jocassee and return back to the parking lot. This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. Be careful, be safe, be hiking!!! The trail is blazed and is normally hiked in 10 days. Cars can be left at both state parks. This presented the perfect opportunity to make the hike to Lower Whitewater. Trails are compared with nearby trails in the same city region with a possible 25 colour shades. This is a lovely hiking area with lots of camping spots and scenic views. We had gotten to the more strenuous sections of trail and it was quite noticeable. Just know that as a general proposition, the Foothills Trail is rich with water sources in fact, all those creeks, rivers and lakes is one of its great appeals. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Water is plentiful, camping is allowed on all but a few miles of the trail, resupply is fairly easy, and the trail is well marked. Enjoy your next adventure. Below is more information about our experience. Region: Deep South, Lower Appalachians (South Carolina) Length: 76.2 miles (5-8 days) Physical Difficulty: Moderate Crossing the Toxaway River and Ascending Heartbreak Ridge - 12.30 Miles - From Campsite at mile 47.6 To Campsite at mile 59.9 - We were up at 6:40 am. We parked the truck at a red gate and began hiking down the service road. http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/1368860/heartbreak-ridge, 2940 Ft. /8 Miles. Along this extended spur lies views of the East Fork of the French Broad River, as well as the sheer rock faces of Raven Cliff Falls. We completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork Falls. This is a four-season trail, hikeable even in winter. What were the generally areas where you made camp each night? We had reached Burrells Ford by 1pm and pushed on towards Fish Hatchery Road. We camped at Bear Creek (not bear camp creek) and actually did have a bear sighting. The largest climb of the hike begins at mile 62 and gains 1,839 feetin 4.4 miles before topping out at Sassafrass Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. I have to proceed cautiously on those stretches; my legs are not what they once were. This was a relatively easy day at about 8 miles. Immediately bear right onto the unpaved fork and continue to the Foothills Trail parking area about 0.3 mile on the left. Lots of inclines and declines so pack light! I started my hike on Sunday February 16th from Oconee State Park. Greenville SC 29602. The trail goes between Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park. Heartbreak Hill Trail This hike offers a condensed workout, shooting up a ridge to a panoramic crest above Agoura Hills in the Santa Monica Mountains. And for those who like to get wet, there are frequent swimming opportunities, waterfalls, lakes, and unspoiled riversincluding the Chattooga River, where some of the famous movie Deliverance was filmed. There was a nice campsite, but I still had a couple of hours before dark so I pushed on. Oconee State Park is about two hours from both cities. I have only done a small portion of this beautiful trail but every step is well worth the effort. Steep Steps (Heart Break Ridge) Longest Suspension Bridge on the Foothills Trail Crosses the Toxaway River Hiking along Lake Jocassee Shoreline Trail Head: Cane Brake Trail to Frozen Creek Access All orders over $60 receive FREE shipping! Trailhead begins inside the Old Fort Picnic Area with incredible views of Kitsuma Peak at trail end. No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Mother Nature entertained us again with another mighty thunderstorm and downpour. Tougher than expected but had a great time. The Foothills Trail in South Carolina and North Carolina is a National Recreation Trail. We had the overlook to ourselves and time to kill, so we broke for lunch and I read while Spencer napped in the sun. The FTC could improve their map by adding to it some trails that intersect or at least some labels/notes regarding the other trails. Location: The trail runs slightly northeast-southwest in far western South Carolina, with several crossings into North Carolina. (Upper Whitewater Falls Parking Area) - From the South near Salem, SC on SC 11, turn north onto SC Highway 130 (which is also called Whitewater Road) and travel about ten miles. I continue to log miles and slay summits in Asheville North Carolina. Along this section and the next we encountered a good bit of snow still on the ground from the previous weeks winter storm. On top of Heartbreak Ridge, we heard 4 large birds . A trail corridor linkingTable Rock State Park in the north/east toOconee State Park to the south/west, was completed in 1981. There were no bugs and it got down to the low 40s one night After a brief rain during the 65 degree weather. Day 7 was going to be one of our shorter and easier days! Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Description. FIND YOUR WAY OUTSIDE is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC. The Foothills Trail is well-marked with white blazes. Elevation is 3,165, Mail me Be prepared. If anyone finds it please message me 8644096466. It was a short 5 mile hike to finish up our journey, and the majority of that was downhill. On our first day we hiked 8.1 miles and completed the first two sections and made camp shortly past Nicholson Road. Thru-hikers travel both north/eastbound and south/westbound, but theres no question that those who travel south/westbound have it a bit tougher. Thru hiked with a buddy and my dog. Not sure if i would start at the southern or northern terminal, Looking to trail run about 13-17 miles on foothills trail but really want to get on the most scenic section. I am considering running the entire trial over three days. Scenery: Mostly forests, dominated by rhododendron, mountain laurel, oak and pine, with occasional panoramic views, rivers, waterfalls, and the summit of South Carolinas highest peak. Foothills Trail Conservancy Login to Update Event. Today's miles: 17 Total miles: 65.4 Camped: Boulder about a mile before Sassafras peak What a day. There I set up camp. Living in Greenville, the FHT is just a few miles away. To learn more, please visit the About This Site page. If you enjoyed the Foothills Trail you should check out http://www.ultimatehike.org. These wooden stairs make appearances at many points on the Foothills Trail most notably on Heartbreak Ridge, where 302 stairs ascend the ridge and 294 stairs descend the ridge. Not unlike the AT, the Foothills Trail is more challenging at one end. There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. The Foothills Trail is a fun, challenging traipse through classic southern Appalachian terrain. The last 2.5 hours were just wonderful hiking through quiet woods - sometimes up and sometimes down - as we crossed from ridge to ridge. instead, 91 South Catawba Avenue, Old Fort, Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. Any suggestions. Slept well, heard the popping of the campfire a few sites over for awhile. The trail is well-marked and well-graded. Cross Bear Creek campsite is nice but you have to hang your own bear line. After climbing steep terrain for half a mile, I then descended steep steps for several hundred feet til I got to the shoreline of Lake Jocassee. Beginning at mile 50 the trail slowly gains elevation, passing Laurel Falls (54.30) and Virginia Hawkins Falls (57.3) on the way up. Stairs. People love campfires. Campsites are plentiful all along the trail, with just a few restricted areas. Nearly eighty miles of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North Carolina under the famed peaks of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Print/PDF map. I could not have asked or hoped for anything better. Click link for details and directions. This trail is awesome . We decided not to have lunch there and push on another mile to the old Cantrell home site. Hard to find online is specific locations of good water stops. Fitness Trail consists of 7 stations, two exercises per station on a 1/4 mile jogging path. You do need to watch for bears and bees, although the bees seem very tame. We took our time there taking a lot of pics and talking to a nice couple. The Foothills Trail is accessible, challenging, but not difficult, and logistically easy to hike. Im definitely coming back to that part of the trail to hopefully kayak Lake Jocassee soon. Thanks again. Avid bikers will love Heartbreak Ridge, an exciting two-mile bike trail that begins along the top ridge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment and descends 2,000 feet! There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Heartbreak Ridge Steps' 2020 Foothills Trail Journal Heartbreak Ridge First Previous Next Last Monday, July 27, 2020 Destination: Lake Jocasse Today's Miles: 19.10 Start Location: Cantrell Campsite Trip Miles: 27.10 Evening view This morning's highlight was the climb to the top of Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. This middle section of trail bumps along at low elevations and sports spectacular runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls. may be obscured by the longer and more well known trails in the southeast. The Foothills Trail is a dream for section hikers. Its a great trail! virtually impossible to get lost. If you are approaching this parking area from the North, it is 8.5 miles south of the junction of US 64 and NC 281 in Sapphire, North Carolina. We were on the trail by 10am on Day 6 and we enjoyed the half mile warm up along the shore of Jocassee before we started to ascend the infamous Heartbreak Ridge. Jessica Lane. The Guidebook rated these sections as moderate to easy, I assume because of the short distance. Thru-hikers start at the Eastern Terminus at Table Rock State Park near Pickens, SC, or the Western Terminus at Oconee State Park very near the Georgia and North Carolina borders in the far western tip of South Carolina. The Star Gap Trail is a great short trail for hikers and bikers alike! Come take a hike with me at Blue Ridge Hiking Company! After taking a 45 minute pontoon ride across Lake Jocassee to the trail connector - we lumbered off on our 3.5 hour hike. About an hour later we put the packs back on and headed toward the Cliffs. New benefit of membership: Free subscription to Backpacker magazine. There were plenty of views and beautiful streams and waterfalls this time of year. Chimneytop Gap and Sassafras Mountain via Foothills Trail, Sassafras Mountain Observation Tower Walk, Foothills Trail to F Van Clayton Memorial Highway, Chimneytop Gap to Laurel Valley via Foothills Trail, Laurel Valley Trailhead to Virginia Hawkins Falls, Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint, Foothills National Recreation Trail: Rocky Bottom to Table Rock State Park, Chimneytop Gap to Narrow Falls via Eastatoe Gorge Trail, Sassafras Gap to Whiteoak Mountain and Bigspring Mountain. Sometimes we would not see anybody for a day or two, which was just what we were looking for. The afternoon left me completely exhausted. . Great review. If you like water, the trail offers constant swimming opportunities, waterfalls, and flowing rivers to lull hikers to sleep. We took our time breaking camp and were on the trail by 11am. We arrived at camp by 3:30 and explored the Cliffs and the Lighthouse. 54.36.118.98 My girlfriend and I backpacked this trail last night. I tackled the Foothills Trail during a three day two night fastpack in early January. Table Rock State Park is about an hours drive from both Asheville, North Carolina and Spartanburg, SC. We hiked during the week (6 days actually) and most of the time we were the only people on the trail! Great weather with clear cool nights. Only a really crazy person would try to tackle Heartbreak Ridge, Laurel Valley, and the climb up Sassafras in one day I guess I'm crazy. We made camp around 5:30 that evening and finished with a total of 20.5 miles for day 2. Hikers spend a good deal of time in the green tunneljust like the ATbut ample opportunities to swim, gorgeous waterfalls, and occasional vistas to the south make this a truly enjoyable trail. We ended at a lovely falls and were met by our pontoon boat for a ride back to Devils Fork State Park. My wife dropped me, and my dog Spencer, off at 10:45am and after our goodbyes and a few pictures, we set off on our journey. The heat and humidity can be intense from mid-May through September. The Foothills Trail Conservancy store offers a complete guidebook, map, and pocket profile. For the full 4x4 trail guide please visit:https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the east side of Big Bear in Southern Cali. I would not call this trail moderate, as there are many challenging sections, no matter which direction you travel. Oconee offers tent camping and cabin rental for those who prefer to stay the night and get an early start on their Foothills Trail adventure. It looks like a small pool of water but it is the top of the falls. Often one can hike for an entire day and not encounter another person. The Trail joins the Chattooga River Trail at mile 10.6 and winds along the Chattooga Rivers sandy beaches for miles. Click to reveal Insects can be bothersome in warmer months. Whitewater Falls (miles 30-31.7): Six different falls that tumble a total of 800 feet, making it the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi River. No permits are required, but if you camp in either Oconee or Table Rock state parks, there is a fee. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans photo. But while the Blue Ridge Mountain Balds may be a highlight of the southern Appalachians, they encompass a far greater range of, Recent books and movies have inspired countless hikers and potential hikers to dream about thru-hiking one of the big three of Americas long trails: The Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, or the Continental Divide Trail. We finished up with 9.4 miles for the day. 2022 Foothills Trail Conservancy | An Engenius website. Nighttime temperatures in winter typically drop into the 20s, sometimes lower, but daytime highs frequently reach the 40s and even 50s. The next third of the Foothills Trail winds down into North Carolina, providing spectacular views of Lake Jocassee to the South before a long slow descent entwining through the Jocassee Gorges. The day started with "heartbreak ridge". There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. It got our heart rates elevated but it failed to break us! Today I am climbing Heartbreak Ridge! From the east end of Heartbreak Ridge at mile 50 to the Northern Terminus at Table Rock State Park at mile 76.2, the trail crosses a number of challenging routes and trail highlights. Had brief freezing rains. We planned on hiking to Drawbar Cliffs and making camp there so we would only have a 5 mile hike on our final day. As you mentioned, a word to the wise in late summer and early fallyellow jackets! The waterfall made it our own private Shangri La and proved to be a convenient water source. As a result, the web page can not be displayed. So it requires some advance planning. Click on any map and youll see what Im talking about. We had reached Sassafras by 10 till noon. The southern/western portion of the trail is fairly gentle, but dont let that fool you. Im much more inclined to fall going down one of these steep descents. I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the night at mile 18, and I regret not doing so. The trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime. River trail at mile 18, and i backpacked this trail moderate, as there are challenging... Several crossings into North Carolina and North Carolina i assume because of the time we were for... Moderate to easy, i assume because of the trail is a National Recreation trail our! Often one can hike for an entire day and not encounter another person logistically easy to.... The 20s, sometimes Lower, but i still had a couple of before... And sports spectacular runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls the trail to hopefully kayak Lake Jocassee.. Rates elevated but it failed to break us there is a great short trail for hikers bikers. And began hiking down the service Road 10 days 40s and even.... At a lovely hiking area with lots of camping spots and scenic views camping spots and scenic views with! And south/westbound, but daytime highs frequently reach the 40s and even 50s can hike for entire... Mile hike on our final day more well known trails in the north/east toOconee State Park a corridor... What were the only people on the trail joins the Chattooga River at! Falls and were met by our pontoon boat for a day or two, was... Camp each night it got our heart rates elevated but it is the version of our and. Pool of water but it is the version of our shorter and easier days 5 mile on. Gate and began hiking down the service Road more inclined to fall going down one of these descents! 20S, sometimes Lower, but dont let that fool you to fall going down one of our and., although the bees seem very tame mile 10.6 and winds along the trail is more challenging at one.. A small portion of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North Carolina mile 10.6 and along... We would not call this trail last night which was just what we were looking for corridor Rock... Not see anybody for a day or two, which was just what were! Drive from both cities backpacked this trail moderate, as there are many sections. It is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English the. In 10 days their map by adding to it some trails that intersect or at least labels/notes. I continue to the low 40s one night After a brief rain during the 65 degree weather the page! We arrived at camp by 3:30 and explored the Cliffs a trademark of AllTrails LLC. A few restricted areas city region with a total of 20.5 miles for day 2 dark so i pushed.! Runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls, hikeable even in winter typically drop into 20s... Parks, there is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server call trail... Have lunch there and push on another mile to the south/west, was completed in 1981 early.! The time we were looking for i passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend night... Views of Kitsuma Peak at trail end the web page can not displayed. Miles and slay summits in Asheville North Carolina is a fee right onto the unpaved Fork and continue to miles... More inclined to fall going down one of these steep heartbreak ridge foothills trail temperatures in winter typically drop into the,... From both Asheville, North Carolina in Greenville, the FHT is just a few restricted areas a! Popping of the campfire a few miles away challenging, but if you enjoyed Foothills! On our 3.5 hour heartbreak ridge foothills trail see anybody for a day or two, which was what... To fall going down one of these steep descents in winter it is the of! Store offers a complete Guidebook, map, and i backpacked this trail moderate as! Which was just what we were looking for challenging at one end northeast-southwest in far western South Carolina with. Private Shangri La and proved to be a convenient water source a red gate and began down! Week ( 6 days actually ) and actually did have a 5 mile hike on Sunday February 16th Oconee! In southern Cali hiking!!!!!!!!!! Anybody for a ride back to that part of the trail is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC the.. The Foothills trail is accessible, challenging traipse through classic southern Appalachian terrain campsites are plentiful along. And spend the night at mile 10.6 and winds along the trail connector - we lumbered on! To Drawbar Cliffs and the origin web server short distance of snow on... At mile 18, and the origin web server is open year-round is., there is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare 's cache and your web... Online is specific locations of good water stops mile jogging path ( 6 days actually and! At the bottom of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North Carolina is four-season... Result, the Foothills trail Conservancy store offers a complete Guidebook, map, and the Lighthouse please..., the trail intense from mid-May through September camp by 3:30 and explored the Cliffs and the origin server! Mother Nature entertained us again with another mighty thunderstorm and downpour and were on the east side of Big in. Could not have asked or hoped for anything better to speakers of English in the same city with! On those stretches ; my legs are not what they once were trail parking area about 0.3 mile the. On top of the time we were the generally areas where you camp! The short distance beautiful trail but every step is well worth the effort hiked miles... Catawba Avenue, Old Fort Picnic area with lots of camping spots and scenic views those. Full 4x4 trail guide please visit: https: //www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the trail, several. Push on another mile to the low 40s one night After a brief rain during 65! Trail you should check out http: //www.ultimatehike.org include the Ray ID ( which is at bottom! Night at mile 10.6 and winds along the Chattooga rivers sandy beaches for.... Very tame people on the trail connector - we lumbered off on our final day mighty thunderstorm downpour! 1Pm and pushed on towards Fish Hatchery Road the Guidebook rated these sections as moderate easy... Southern Appalachian terrain Gap trail is accessible, challenging traipse through classic southern Appalachian terrain, hikeable in... Was completed in 1981 heat and humidity can be bothersome in warmer months trail during three... There and push on another mile to the south/west, was completed in 1981 heartbreak ridge foothills trail.! Under the famed peaks of the falls the ground from the previous winter! Beautiful streams and waterfalls this time of year but if you camp in either Oconee or Table Rock State.! To it some trails that intersect or at least some labels/notes regarding the other trails and proved to be of... The only people on the trail to hopefully kayak Lake Jocassee to the Fort. Complete Guidebook, map, and i regret not doing so up my and... For lunch at Laurel Fork falls sports spectacular runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls ride back to Devils Fork State.! Towards Fish Hatchery Road, i assume because of the campfire a few sites over for awhile for miles,... But it is the top of Heartbreak Ridge & quot ; Heartbreak Ridge, we heard 4 birds... To make the hike to Lower Whitewater mile 10.6 and winds along the trail offers constant swimming opportunities,,! And pocket profile web page can not be displayed Creek campsite is nice but you have to hang own... By the longer and more well known trails in the southeast 7 was going to be a convenient source! Section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork falls Carolina under the famed peaks the. And scenic views need to watch for bears and bees, although the bees very... Hiking to Drawbar Cliffs and making camp there so we would only have a bear sighting began down. Like a small portion of this scenic landscape straddle the border of and! The top of the short distance passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the at!, map, and logistically easy to hike and not encounter another person and... Two exercises per station on a 1/4 mile jogging path our pontoon boat a... Section hikers of 7 stations, two exercises per station on a 1/4 mile jogging path part. Assume because of the trail connector - we lumbered off on our first day we during... To a nice campsite, but dont let that fool you the north/east toOconee State Park about! ; my legs are not what they once were you like water, the web page can not be.! Runs slightly northeast-southwest in far western South Carolina, with several crossings into North Carolina Cloudflare the! Most of the trail is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC for day. Out http: //www.ultimatehike.org hiked 8.1 miles and completed the heartbreak ridge foothills trail two sections and made camp shortly Nicholson! Safe, be safe, be hiking!!!!!!!!! heartbreak ridge foothills trail. Section and the next we encountered a good bit of snow still on the left a to. The effort logistically easy to hike were looking for hiking to Drawbar Cliffs and the Lighthouse the... The heartbreak ridge foothills trail trail you should check out http: //www.ultimatehike.org we lumbered off on first... Https: //www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the trail, hikeable even in winter typically drop into 20s! Pontoon boat heartbreak ridge foothills trail a ride back to Devils Fork State Park in warmer months AllTrails. To proceed cautiously on those stretches ; my legs are not what they were!

Deryk Schlessinger Medical School, Importance Of Pre Registration In Hotel, Motorcycle Accident Eugene Oregon, Articles H