george burke staten island obituary

The only thing that will save this house as a bulldozer! [laughs] But anyway, I saved it. Its still there. That was the most beautiful mansion. Located in Staten Island, NY. Yes, he helped me with the colors, and this and that, and what I should getgood orientals for the floor, which I had but they werent these. And I worked there for quite a while, and I lived in the Bronx. Burke: Yes, she held the mortgage on it. But I put the kitchen in the basement and sealed up that, because once that filled up with water, it would leak into the basement. Burke: Oh, well, the Eskimos up there would give me beautiful mukluks and all kinds of things. She lived up on Lighthouse Hill. They were some kind of jewelry like that but I dont remember what it was. Im always doing something. And I studied architecture and the history of design and everything, I know all that. So its saved forever. Thats the only thing people could bring. Yes. You can retire. Q: So this is going to part of an online archive. Frank was born in Brooklyn, NY June 26, 1943. When he came he got everything going. Would you? Its unreal! And my father died, and we were all very young. If you give me a big helping hand here. I said, You know, I dont make that much money. But the basement was the summer dining rooms and summer kitchen. Q: And you said that you restored the garden there too? Daller: See, now you learned about kitchens. But Id go off with Murphy and wed go to these estate sales and most of the stuff thats in here was, I bought and shipped it all back. And all those Eskimos just loved me. The Greek Revival house is one of the few surviving examples of 19th Century life on Staten Island. Burke: Yes, he did that little sofa there. Burke: Oh, my nephew. Because the other way, my uncle was digging into whatever a little bit of savings he had, in order to pay. See Photos. Burke: Yes. And she kept, George, please, go save my house. And you can put it together and fix it. So it was fascinating. And so shes got the bridge, and it costs money. One day, he was gone. Daller: I mean, that big wrap-around porch that went all the way around the house. So this house tells a particular story, a long history, but it cant tell the history of the other houses because they were so different. Beloved husband of Rosanna (Ialuna) Burke. And then Id been in Europe all that time. Q: Yes, absolutely. I spent enough time breaking my back. And it was one of those busy, busy, goddamn nights. Besides horses and Rusty, there are peacocks too. And then one of my brothers had just gotten out of the military. His family was like aristocratic. Facebook gives people the power to. So as long as you have people, youre going to have change, and people are going to say, That doesnt work! Burke: Scalia. Daller: Yes. And we were sitting in the kitchen in the basement and he was going on the Ouija board and I said, What does it say, what does it say? And Eric is sitting there and hes talking, and hes sounding like a lady, and hes saying, Youre in my house, and I dont want you. Theyre all gone. This old? So that makes sense. Theyre all McMansions. You can go and look and read about anything about the South Shore of Staten Island. Then, on that side, was the dining room, and the kitchen. And Ed was very good at taking dents and things out of cars and he could spray paint. Just as long as its saved and its here. Thats whats in this whole house, all the things you see. And he dealed in antique rugs, and regular rugs and everything. That was a shame. But you do have Chris thats upstairs that lives in the servants quarters. But again, I dont know that Staten Island appreciates anything, because we had a Borough President at one time that we asked him a question about something and his answer to my uncle was, Well, why would you want to put a new suit on an old man?. Daller: But when you got it, it really was in need of repair. He was born Jan. 21, 1946, in The Bronx, N.Y. Bob is survived by his loving wife. Are you still interested? And I said, Well, of course I am. I just repainted. What the hell is this? All of a sudden, she went, Youre in my house, and get out! Holy Christ. Because thats what I bought with the money. So thank you. Burke: He did almost all the upholstery in the house. [laughs]. He said, when he was moving here, he told the people there, he goes, Im moving. Tell me when you want me to start. And I dont like this. And shed go to her father and her father and say, You know, George, shes my daughter, and this and thatand I said, Yes, well, John, let me tell you something. All the grounds, the stables, everythingthey cant change a thing. The one owned by the steel companywas that a beautiful house! Daller: It just went right out of my head! I moved in the house, and I would come in the house, and right in the front hallway, you could always smell lilacs. It was so overgrown in the front yard and everything. And I finally got to meet Mrs. Seguine because she had stables at that time. You couldnt tell what it was. I can get that. Because you could get it through theand once I got involved, I did really, really well. He brought a crowd with him and it was just to tell him thank you for everything that hes done. I was born on Oct. 11, 1930, one of nine siblings, to an. And I never had timesometimes Id be sleeping on the pool table there because I just couldnt leave! But it looked like an attic with the roof like that and everything. That woman, she lived in riding clothes! You know, nobody wanted to end it but nobody wanted to, say, Lets do it. Good God! Q: No, that covers it! So if this can remain a part of the history, thatll be great for people to appreciate. I found these here on Staten Island in somebodys basement! Tell us about when you were born? So, I would saywhat was it?the spring, and in the back of the house was the entrance to the cellar with the double doors, where you walked down the stairs, and it was all brick, and it had the doors. That was the mansion. I thought for sure that would never go. But those things, I couldnt. It was a mess. And I always used to say, Wonder who lives there! and so forth and so on. Daller: Well, he hopes that Historic House Trust and the Parks Department work hand in hand and maintaining itthat theyll maintain it as a museum. Daller: And he formed the board in order to support the house. Lets keep fighting it, because there was no way to fight. But the one that I remember was a great big brooch. I restored that, and that was an old mansionan old pillar-fronted mansionlooked like the house, similar. I moved in, I cleaned it all up. The Seguine nestled in the back of his mind, Burke joined the Air Force and moved to London when he was 19. Burke: Oh, when I was a kid, we lived in Annandale. And they copied that from France, because thats what it was, it was the French mansard. You could ask for their house and youd get it. So everything just kept going off and someone would have all of this, someone would have all of that. I dont think anythings missing? I loved Alaska. Q: So tell me about what its been like for you to live here. Burke: But anyway, it was a big beautiful cameo brooch, and was wrapped in an oil cloth rag! Theyre going out for the garbage. I said, No, no, no, Im trying to take them. So I took them and I had them all redone and reupholstered, and here they are. Burke: Yes. Burke: Okay. A lot of the windows were broken out of it. So thats where I got most of the stuff thats here in the house today. I loved them too. Burke: Oh, when I bought the house, everybody told me, Oh, what are you buying that old crap for? Well, I didnt say I bought it because I got it practically for nothing because they couldnt get rid of it. I mean, I had a beautiful condo in Florida. It doesnt happen on the North Shore because were very condensed and its a dense population. Wantagh, Seaford . I mean, we had clocks, baby-Ben clocks, hanging in apartments. And with the Air Force, I enjoyed every minute. So coming back to it was a change. But, thats what I did. But they tore the house down to build that school. Yes, of course, they could eat all the grass. Always, in that vase in the hall. Scarpaci Funeral Home of Staten Island LLC. Q: So its budgets and the contractors, all that stuff. And then, on the side of the house in the back, there was a little piece built out. I mean, as a kid going down here crabbing, down on the beach, we used to look back at the house all the time. Its still there in Port Richmond. Facebook. And a lot of people kept their horses in the stables. I hope it isnt that the people who have access come in and empty it because Ive had people say, Oh, when youre not here, Im taking that painting, and Im taking that painting, and I want that couch, you know. He was in the Air Force. Most recent obituaries in New York. Burke: Hawaii. He had the military ship the items back to family members in New York City, a perk of military service that made moving his collection back to the States possible. Theyd go in and theyd take the windows out and theyd use the windows, and they destroyed it. All these empty buildings and things. Q: Yes. She was the girl who hired me, and she ran the big Sherwin Williams store. Q: And how did you keep track of all the items in your collection as they were moving from, Burke: Well, a lot of this stuff, I never got back, because once you left it for years and years, you werent going to go back and say, Well, give me that, and give me this. Was it your mother I gave her all the blue and. WHEN George Burke was growing up on Staten Island in the 1930s and '40s, he used to ride horses with a pair of sisters, Elizabeth and Belle Seguine. Burke: She has it. Before he left, the house was fine. And we were great friends. Oh, thats right. Thats the only thing in the house left from the Seguines. Theres a ghost in there. And I said, Well, I dont believe in ghosts. Daller: From Michael and Jennifer, your nephew. And I said to the real estate lady, I said, Well, how do you know theres a ghost in there? She said, Because the old lady that originally lived in the house. Ill help renovate it, fix it up and such. And thats what we did. Ive been to the Tenement Museum, and I love the fact that theres a woman on a loop and she discusses living in the apartment. And then the people that moved out left a bunch of old furniture, and these were the two that they left. All rights reserved. Q: Yes. Daller: No, that still has to be discussed. Daller: Yes, well, thats what we just said, yes. But she used to wear three, four dresses and she smelled like an old goat! Unfortunately, you got to find environmentalists, theyve got to look for things and theyve got to point things out. But not long ago, I was talking about it. Theres a bunch of little houses now built all along through their gardens. Skip to main content (800) 896-5587. And then when I went looking for myhis name was Joinerand everybody was saying, Well, Sergeant Joiner is leaving, Sergeant Joiner is leaving. And I never thought much of it. I, being the youngest, of course, seeing everybody growing up. All that gorgeous porcelain, like the Flower Sellers Childrenits a big piece like that. Luis was great. One of the doors was shot, so I took this door off, and when I did, the brick wall, on the side, started falling out. But I mean, that wasthe holes, the plaster gone. And then, it was declared unsafe, and they come in and knocked it down. Unbelievable. I had the house put back together. And its still there, its all there. Oh, God. They were all along the waterfront here. And thats what this house is. They just went and just vandalized it to hell until there was nothing but a shell left. So most of the stuff is Victorianturn of the century and Victorian. We just mentioned him. So Walter was re-stationed to Fort Lauderdale in Florida. Thats not good. The same thing thats going on with statues. So theres no more Scalamandr, I dont think, is there? If we can reach an agreement with Historic House Trust, by all means. Christ, we had a good time. Q: Is there somebody in particular that you work with for reupholstery or restorations? I went to grammar school and high school here. And he wanted to retire and he gave his son the business. Visitation will be held on April 24, 2015 at 7:00 pm at Casey Funeral Home, 350 Slosson Ave, Staten Island, NY. Id love that old house. I said, But Bess, I said your houseI dont know about saving it. And that way, it wouldnt burn the houses down. Daller: That was the house that had ghosts. Burke: Yes. It was similar, only bigger and more ornate. Daller: You know, people dont understand them. Probably. And I said, Well, the smell is still there. And I said to her, Whatever happened to the old girl? And she said, Well, years ago, when she died, she said, she was laid out in the front parlor in the coffin, and it was nothing but lilacs. He got involved with riding there and was constantly riding. So Id go over there and, of course, Bess Seguine was always over there. So I said to her, I said Bess, the only thing Ill save your house is a bulldozer! And then I was able to get all my stuff out of storage and out of peoples homes where I stored them, and furnished the house and moved and lived in the whole house, took care of it. Well, the paintings and the small stuff like thatthat like that mirror and those paintings and all that stuffthat was all the little stuff. Burke: Theyll come in, but youll have to have somebody as a guide. George James Manger , 100, of Staten Island died on May 4, 2022. I come down the stairs and I opened the door. The mansion had a huge ballroom and everything in it. But it only reached a certain point of it, not in the very beginning. Viewing times and guestbooks can be found here . Help NYPAP document and celebrate NYCs preservation movement. And the fact that somebody could save a house like this, and want to show it to people, and let people hear about the history behind it? We were only allowed so much. I woke up with a sweat. Unfortunately, all the grounds areI dont even know if the house is there anymore! And, minute he bought the house, did a little work in it, put it right up for sale. And the only reason why this survived is because nobody wanted the farmhouse! Im going to retire, Im going to go down to that big old house, restore it, fix it all up, move in it, and enjoy it. And there was nobody but my mother and I now, living in our house. Yes, but that was all the legal aspect of it. It was under your bunk. So they. Burke: Mario Buatta and a couple of people of his friends that were just as big. Because, now, they cant tear it down. The roof was shot because the old guy that was caretaker here, he used to walk around on the roof and watch all the boats in the harbor. But under that porch was the basement. Thats annoying certain people. What was it, in the city? I bought another restaurant, didnt I? And then I went through floor and room after room, and took almost five years to put the house in good shape, the way you could see it. Burke: Well, most of the stuff in the house, he worked with me. Hes done it for forty-plus years, now its time to give back. Obituary George W. Burke, age 63, of Hull, entered into eternal rest on October 2, 2021. I want it now. I could never get it. The ceilings had fallen down because a lot of the drain pipes had leaked. And I looked back, you could hardly see the house. But when he was in Europe, he rode. In fact, I think it was just landmarked wasnt it? Burke: Let me think of how all that started. So I went around to all the nursesof course, I was in the medical departmentand I asked all the nurses, What are you doing with your stamps? This was in the East Bronx, this was on 167th and College Avenue. And that went for years. Dont forget I, for yearsin London, I went to university. Its empty. And that was inwhere the hell, what did they call that area where all the Eskimos lived? It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a member of the Historic House Trust. And I took the money. Daller: Thats been acquired over the years. Yes, and I had bought the house, but I couldnt have the house and move in until she died. And then finally she sold the house and she bought a beautiful place in Greenwich Village and moved to Greenwich Village. He did the White House and everything. I fixed it up. Got a good price for a couple of other real estate pieces that I bought and fixed up and sold. Daller: It was like, we cant even find him anymore. The woodwork, the moldings, the parquet floors. Daller: Right, we really dont discuss any of that. Burke: Its right on the Boulevard and it goes down to the beach. Then she got to the point where she couldnt keep it anymore. Now what are you going to do with this? And I, throughout the time, I went from room to room in the house and restored it. And I had beautiful big pieces of Meissen that I got when I was in Germany, and it all went here and there andI cant get it back. And I wanted these little chairs tufted but he had passed away before he could get around to tuft. And I had a beautiful restaurant and a bar connected to it. And I dream that I heard some noise. Q: [laughs] How did you figure out what needed to be done with the house? Donald was born August 16th, 1954, in Staten Island, New York, to Michael and Eleanor. Daller: Yes, I found him. It was unbelievably gorgeous. So there wasnt a lot of time spent here. He cant do this anymore. I got one or two things out of it. Burke: So I dont know if that was a ghost. Burke: Im glad I did. Get out. It was gorgeous and very ornatewas very, very much like Greek Revival. Thats the usual setup, I think, for historic houses. And the post is still there and the staircase is still in good shapebut thats still in the house, now, down there. We have a choice in having a caretaker come in also to maintain it. And places on Staten Island are being destroyed every minute of the dayyou find another house is goingand its happening in all the boroughs! I bought those in Germany. Tarrytown-Sleepy Hollow. And when youd come down, there wasthe stairwell come down, and it was a double parlor, like this, and where this door was, was with two double doors. Burke: Yes, Mario come out all the time. They cant develop it. Daller: Well, remember how much it took to paint the whole house, and how you had to paint sections of it? And underneath it was a whole kitchen and dining room that opened out to under the porch. I mean, Captains Quarters, instead of building all those condos down there, it would have been beautiful to have another stately home there. And thats what I called out for was help. And thats what they were doing in France to keep from getting it taxed. You buy me out. And he bought me out. And thats what where all the water, for all the laundry, and all that kind of stuffnot the drinking water, the working waterwould come out of that big cistern, and would go intoand the pump and everything, its still down there, connected to that thing out there. So it shows you that you have a friend forever. So I bought it. Its all part of history, and theyre just destroying it every way they can. Daller: Yes. Well. George Burke Obituary It is always difficult saying goodbye to someone we love and cherish. And I was always a horse person. Nobody wants to do that. I said, No, no, no. They bought a house. Because she begged me. So I moved into the front parlor room, there. I have no idea what it would be like to live in some other place. Or did you have to just guess and make decisions? Oh shit, Im going to have to rebuild the wall. So I started pulling the bricks out, and wrapped up where one of the bricks was, was an oil cloth rag all wrapped up. Because people will come in, and therell be four or five people and somebody will walk by and just pick this up, and pick that up. After Burke returned to Staten Island, he purchased and restored two houses and an old restaurant and bar before he was contacted by Bess Seguine in 1981, who had inherited the then-deteriorated Seguine Mansion. You werent on Staten Island. Thats ittheres no more of them. Im gonna save it, its a gorgeous house!. He worked by himself. Christ, a good ten, twelve years. Daller: Oh, I dont know. Aug. 16, 1954 - February 25, 2023 Loving and loyal husband, father, brother, uncle, great uncle and friend. Q: So he knew how much work it would take over the years and what a relationship would be like to. Burke: Greek revival. And there was a whole other floor, another story, and its built with the French style, in the French mansard. So then I said, well, what the hell am I gonna do? Anyway, there was three things that I found by doing some worklike, giftsI forget what they were. And through all the years that the old lady had this woman taking care of her, the lilacs were always in bloomwhen they were in bloom, they were in the house. Email or phone: Password: . Daller: Well he formed that, thats the board. And she was living here all by herself. She said shell keep the doors locked and call Linda if anybody wants to get in and take anything out. Burke: Oh, it was a relationship over whole period. So while I used to work then with them, and then I decided, this is not for me. The one in particular, United States Steel [Corporation]. And I went in and I noticed my big box was gone. And I looked in the thing, I said, Holy shit. You know, he just passed away. Daller: If they cant ride, why should they be here? They were gorgeous. I went to boot camp, I loved it. And as you see it today was from me doing all those little things. So, Id do that. My brother, he come in and he said, What are you, nuts? She said, George, when she died, she was laid out in the coffin, right in that room, in front of those two windows. Frank Tredici Jr., age 79, of Staten Island, New York, passed away on Monday, February 20th, 2023. Shit.

Commercial Kitchen For Rent Bakersfield, Office Space For Rent In Lodi, Ca, Why Can't You Stream Bullets Over Broadway, Articles G