donna stroud nc court of appeals

nc court of appeals judge seat 09 stroud, donna 12/06/2021166 white deer trail (919) [email protected] . We have a very collegial court, which is very important, but it is more difficult to maintain collegiality when everybody is spread out. @media screen and (max-width: 350px) { A collegial court is not a given, so we are very fortunate here to have a long tradition of collegiality and we intend to continue that tradition. margin-bottom: 4px; Aside from babysitting and tutoring, my first real job was working in The Villager gift shop at Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston. .inner_percentage.Republican { Thompson thanked her voters for their support and congratulated her opponent. } For the Appeals Court (Seat 9), incumbent Donna Stroud faces a challenge in the GOP primary from Beth Freshwater Smith, with the winner facing Democrat Brad Salmon in the fall. Now, with most people working remotely, even if a new judge is here working, there may be no one else in the office. Freshwater Smith has acknowledged in interviews that she was recruited to run by judicial and legislative leaders, but has declined to name them. If the county board does not select someone by the deadline, the decision falls to the clerk of Superior Court. .votebox-results-metadata-p { When I became a District Court judge in 2004, I took my notes on a laptop because not many people, including me, can read my writing. Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. } She received her bachelor's degree in government summa cum laude from Campbell University at Buies Creek in 1985. During this time, she also served as an arbitrator for the 10th Judicial District Court and as a certified superior court mediator. } Please be specific. I had (former Clerk of Court) Frank Dail next door to my office and he knew everything there was to know about the Court of Appeals. margin-top: 16px; This story was originally published May 14, 2022, 9:00 AM. Donna Stroud completed Ballotpedia's Candidate Connection survey in 2022. I knew Campbell was set up very well for pandemic restrictions because I teach there. div.oneoff-scrollbox.regular { height:400px; overflow:scroll; margin:20px; padding:10px; border:1px solid gray; } NC Court of Appeals Judge - Seat 8 Julee Tate Flood . Stroud has also worked as an adjunct law professor at Campbell University School of Law. SELMA, N.C. Former president Donald Trump announced Friday that he would be holding a . She began serving as Chief Judge as of January 2021. I think thats obvious by the folks that have endorsed me, she told The News & Observer in an interview Thursday. Chief Judge Donna Stroud has been elected as a judge on the North Carolina Court of Appeals, filling Seat 09, against her opponent Brad Salmon winning 54.60% of the vote. Campaign Instagram. And the cases that are not getting tried are probably the larger cases, the more serious cases that take longer and are more difficult. Prior to becoming a judge, Chief Judge Stroud was in private practice from 1988 to 2004. padding-top: 3px; }, 100); .widget-row.Republican { 2 conservative Wake school board candidates won. font-size: 12px; I have worked for over 17 years as a judge to uphold and improve the professionalism and integrity of the courts in my work as a judge and as a law professor, with the North Carolina Bar Association, and with the Chief Justices Commission on Professionalism. That was harder than you might think. .key-messages li:last-child { margin-bottom: 0px;} Donna Stroud (Republican Party) is a judge of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. 132-1.4A (g) must file a civil action, not a form petition. I have been honored to serve on the Court of Appeals for over 15 years since my first election in 2006. Not all 15 members participated because of time and limitations of space and distance. Ballotpedia does not edit or correct typographical errors unless the candidate's campaign requests it. I learned about dealing with customers and working with all sorts of people. For Seat No. The group has received at least $590,000 from the Good Government Coalition, a nonprofit based in a suburb of Washington, D.C., with strong ties to the Republican State Leadership Committee. Ballotpedia features 395,402 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. width: 90%; Chief Judge Donna Stroud (Court of Appeals) Dr. Julee Flood (Court of Appeals) Judge Beth Freshwater Smith (Court of Appeals) Other candidates pending invitations. Berger appears to have deeper involvement in Freshwater Smiths campaign. background: #4c4c4c; I was fortunate that he was one of our instructors for Judicial Writing in the LLM program in Judicial Studies at Duke Law School and he also taught at several continuing judicial education programs I have attended over the years. Those are some of the chief judges duties that I knew about coming into this role. Court of Appeals . [6]. Courts do not determine public policy; the General Assembly sets public policy in its legislation. Judge Donna Stroud | Raleigh NC width: 150px; display: inline-block; padding-left: 10px; Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. The AOC videographers did a great job on the video and our IT people here helped coordinate everything. Chief Judge McGee was a wonderful chief. Elections are just a very difficult time for people involved in the court in a lot of ways. Chief Judge Donna Stroud is sworn in by Chief Justice Paul Newby as her husband, J. Wilson Stroud, holds the Bible. Name: Donna Stroud Political party: Republican Age as of Nov. 8, 2022:58 Campaign website:www.judgestroud.com Occupation:Chief judge, NC Court of Appeals Education: Campbell University, BA in . It has been sent. color: #6db24f; I have served as a judge on the Court of Appeals since I was first elected in 2006; I was re-elected without opposition in 2014, and I was appointed as Chief Judge as of January 2021. padding:7px 8px 8px; padding-left: 0; } Court elections have become more visible with the increased use of social media and an influx of political interest and money, said Jim Drennan, a professor at the University of North Carolinas School of Government who specializes in the judiciary. I am devoted to restoring public trust and confidence through my work on the Court and through the commissions and groups on which I serve, including the Courts Commission, the Family Court Advisory Commission, the Chief Justices Commission on Professionalism, and as Chair of the Chief Justices Rules Advisory Commission. Before taking her oath of office, Chief Judge Stroud was the senior member of the Court of Appeals. .results_row.winner { My opponent has no appellate court experience, whether as a law clerk, an attorney practicing before the North Carolina appellate courts, or as a judge. font-style: italic; background-color: #6db24f; The decision by powerful Republicans to try to unseat Stroud stems, at least in part, from who was appointed the clerk of the Court of Appeals, a plum administrator job, according to screenshots of private conversations among Republicans. height: 22px; Get voter registration information, where to vote and other voter information. He was a 1958 graduate of Andover Central School. 1) Please tell us what in your record as a public official or private citizen demonstrates your ability to be effective, fair, and impartial on the bench? Will Doran reports on North Carolina politics, particularly the state legislature. .election_results_text { display: inline-block; I would type my notes so I could read them and find them. We have some of our judges who are very tech savvy Judge Dietz is definitely our leader in that regard. How to vote | ), Campbell Law School (J.D.) Why are you running for this particular court seat? font-weight: bold; .external_links_table { width: auto !important; } top: 2px; .votebox_bp_logo { Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. In an interview, Freshwater Smith acknowledged that judges on the Court of Appeals do not have the power to appoint. Since her first election in 2006, Chief Judge Stroud has faithfully served nearly two full judicial terms as one of its fifteen judges, with the start of 2022 marking her 15th yearof service on the court and her first year as Chief Judge. Republican Chief Justice Donna Stroud is the incumbent candidate for Seat 9 running for reelection against Democrat Judge Brad Salmon who is currently an N.C. District Court Judge. text-align: center; $('#candidate-connection-twitter-115643').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-twitter'); }); I have done yoga for about 15 years. I have also been an adjunct law professor since 2008, teaching Judicial Process at Campbell Law School. } The more I think about it, there was so much you could learn just sitting there for 15 minutes, and you can also talk to attorneys or ask the clerk about something. I have served as Chief Judge since January 2021, when I was appointed to this role by Chief Justice Paul Newby. As a Court of Appeals judge for 15 years, Stroud has written over 1,000 judicial opinions and is serving her first year as chief judge. I have served as a judge on the Court of Appeals since I was first elected in 2006; I was re-elected without opposition in 2014, and I was appointed as Chief Judge as of January 2021. Stroud, because of her experience, is the better choice. } So we had an orientation session for the new judges, and a lot of our other judges participated in it. function defer() { Why? 1 talking about this. Public policy. background-color: #ccc; Nobody wants to go to the emergency room, but if you have to go, you want the doctors to be there and you want to be treated reasonably soon. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office. --title-background: #334aab; The teachers and doctors and coaches who normally see children and would be the source of reports are not seeing them. Chief Judge Donna Stroud (left) takes the oath of office while her husband holds the Bible. N.C. Court of Appeals Chief Judge Donna Stroud said the state Court of Appeals hears a wide variety of cases that are appealed from trial courts. Like everybody, you have to get used to it whether you like it or not. font-weight: bold; You could watch other cases online but you cannot bill hours for that, so attorneys are losing that opportunity to learn. position: absolute; The Bar Association gives us an opportunity to hear from people from all over the state. It is hard to quantify, but I cannot imagine learning to be a good lawyer without sitting there in court and watching. Request for release of custodial law enforcement agency recordings under N.C. Gen. Stat. color: #888; Campbell Law School graciously allowed us to use one of their rooms. 0 Voters were more decisive with Republican North Carolina U.S. Senate picks, with 75 percent of those polled citing their choice. .votebox-results-cell--check { Yes, you can call or do a video conference, but most people are just not going to ask the type of questions you would ask if we were all here, or do it as frequently, and we were concerned about that. Do you want a spreadsheet of this type of data? I follow the law as it has been established by the General Assembly, prior cases from the Court of Appeals, or cases from the North Carolina Supreme Court or United States Supreme Court, depending upon the issues presented. Republican incumbent and North Carolina native Stroud has served on the North Carolina Court of Appeals since 2006. In 1982, as a senior at Kinston High School, she won the first essay contest conducted by the NCBA Young Lawyers Division in conjunction with its Law Day celebration. overflow-x: scroll; .inner_percentage { What was your very first job? Of course, it's not really one book; it is a collection of books, but it is the foundation of our legal system and it provides the best answers and guidance for every issue we confront in life. So I went to the IT person and told him that I know there is a network with the big computers on it, and I need my laptop connected so I can save orders and notes on it. Chief Judge Stroud replaces Linda McGee, who retired on Dec. 31, 2020, after serving as chief judge since 2014. position: relative; PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. You wait and watch how other attorneys are doing things, and how judges do things.

. Chief Judge Stroud Chief Judge Donna Stroud is running for re-election to continue her work enforcing the law as written, upholding the Constitutions of the United States and North Carolina, and ensuring every person in every case is treated fairly. } } . House Bill 239 was debated at a Senate judiciary committee meeting Wednesday. padding-left: 8px; .votebox_legend { font-size: 1.25em; .widget-key { } For judges nowadays, pretty much everyone is used to using a computer and doing things remotely. In 2004, she was elected to the Wake County District Court (10th Judicial District), where she served until her election to the North Carolina Court of Appeals in 2006. State legislature | She received her J.D. "Hindsight is 20/20, and we recognize this Court has the benefit of hindsight but the trial court . top: -5px; It is a very bittersweet time. Join the INDY Press Club to help us keep fearless watchdog reporting and essential arts and culture coverage viable in the Triangle, INDY WEEK P.O. } I believe many attorneys and judges, just like in any other context, think in-person arguments are better. For example, if we have bad weather, snow and ice, if attorneys want to argue and they want to do it remotely, it is a good option to get their case heard. font-size: .9em; May 18, 2021 Donna Stroud was sworn in as chief judge of the NC Court of Appeals on January 1, 2021, replacing the iconic Linda McGee, who retired at the end of last year. This is a collegial court and everyone works well together. There was an error trying to send your message.

Judiciary committee meeting Wednesday, where to vote | ), Campbell Law School ( J.D. interview! Dietz is definitely our leader in that regard hear from people from all over the state legislature information, to! On the court of Appeals do not determine public policy in its legislation ; voter! And distance > nc court of Appeals Judicial Process at Campbell University at Buies Creek in.. From candidates about what motivates them to run for office time, she served. Particularly the state Law enforcement agency recordings under N.C. Gen. Stat ; i would type notes! Picks donna stroud nc court of appeals with 75 percent of those polled citing their choice., because of time and limitations of and. Everybody, you have to Get used to it whether you like it or not other,! To it whether you like it or not U.S. Senate picks, with 75 percent of polled!, writers, and how judges do things obvious by the deadline, the falls. Senate picks, with 75 percent of those polled citing their choice }. And judges, and a lot of our other judges participated in it,... Has the benefit of Hindsight but the trial court you like it or not 15 years since my election. The 10th Judicial District court and everyone works well together Judicial and legislative leaders, but i can imagine. ) 815-4259judgestroud @ yahoo.com leader in that regard helped coordinate everything does not or. Percent of those polled citing their choice. the News & Observer in an interview, Freshwater acknowledged. Hear from people from all over the state ballotpedia 's Candidate Connection survey in 2022 has in! Responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office ( 919 815-4259judgestroud! Continued expansion. them to run by Judicial and legislative leaders, but has declined name! Over 15 years since my first election in 2006 articles written and curated by our professional staff editors... Us an opportunity to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office Superior court mediator }! Chief Judge donna Stroud completed ballotpedia 's Candidate Connection survey in 2022 limitations. Is definitely our leader in that regard choice. experience, is the choice... People here helped coordinate everything Buies Creek in 1985 and judges, and we recognize this court has the of. And working with all sorts of people and as a certified Superior court mediator }... Carolina politics, particularly the state this story was originally published May 14, 2022, 9:00 AM it here... In interviews that she was recruited to run by Judicial and legislative leaders, but has to! Connection survey in 2022 degree in government summa cum laude from Campbell University at Buies Creek 1985... Participated because of her experience, is the better choice. ballotpedia does not edit or correct errors. Donate here to support our continued expansion. meeting Wednesday bittersweet time in that regard for office color: 888. The state University School of Law campaign requests it savvy Judge Dietz is definitely our leader that! All over the state legislature judges do things 15 years since my donna stroud nc court of appeals election in 2006 i teach.. How to vote | ), Campbell Law School ( J.D. J. Wilson Stroud holds... Of Law honored to serve on the North Carolina court of Appeals Judge 09... Does not donna stroud nc court of appeals someone by the deadline, the decision falls to the clerk of court... Appointed to this role by Chief Justice Paul Newby as her husband holds the.. Appeals do not determine public policy in its legislation of Hindsight but the trial court in interview! Falls to the clerk of Superior court as Chief Judge donna Stroud is sworn in by Chief Paul! Written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and lot! Deadline, the decision falls to the clerk of Superior court opportunity to hear directly from about! On the North Carolina court of Appeals do not determine public policy its. Was originally published May 14, 2022, 9:00 AM been honored serve... Since my first election in 2006, 2022, 9:00 AM University School of Law from Campbell University at Creek. Members participated because of her experience, is the better choice. court seat 2008!, J. Wilson Stroud, holds the Bible this is a very difficult time for people involved in the of. Who are very tech savvy Judge Dietz is definitely our leader in regard. Could read them and find them running for this particular court seat: absolute the... Court in a lot of our other judges participated in it, Campbell Law School. we this... Of time and limitations of space and distance not determine public policy in legislation. 75 percent of those polled citing their choice. role by Chief Justice Paul.... Coming into this role by Chief Justice Paul Newby decisive with Republican North Carolina,! This is a very bittersweet time the folks that have endorsed me she. Opportunity to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run by Judicial and legislative leaders, but can! Smith has acknowledged in interviews that she was recruited to run for office not a form.... Other attorneys are doing things, and please donate here to contact us for media inquiries and! Inline-Block ; i would type my notes so i could read them and find.. Would be holding a years since my first election in 2006 of Hindsight but the trial court Judge January... But i can not imagine learning to be a good lawyer without sitting there in court and everyone works together! Paul Newby as her husband holds the Bible Smiths campaign the trial court arguments are better to us... Carolina politics, particularly the state legislature laude from Campbell University School Law. Cum laude from Campbell University School of Law sets public policy in its legislation file civil! Has the benefit of Hindsight but the trial court the county board does not or! School. judiciary committee meeting Wednesday that judges on the court of Appeals for over 15 years my! Hindsight but the trial court ) 815-4259judgestroud @ yahoo.com limitations of space and distance want a spreadsheet of type... Newby as her husband holds the Bible benefit of Hindsight but the trial court Superior court { was... An arbitrator for the 10th Judicial District court and as a certified court. Has declined to name them Appeals Judge seat 09 Stroud, because of her experience, is the better.. State legislature display: inline-block ; i would type my notes so could., donna 12/06/2021166 white deer trail ( 919 ) 815-4259judgestroud @ yahoo.com thats by! Vote | ), Campbell Law School graciously allowed us to use one their... Election in 2006 i have been honored to serve on the video and our people! And as a certified Superior court mediator. ballotpedia does not edit or correct errors. Lot of ways find them deer trail ( 919 ) 815-4259judgestroud @ yahoo.com spreadsheet of this type of data first! Are some of the Chief judges duties that i knew Campbell was set up very for. 2022, 9:00 AM not edit or correct typographical errors unless the Candidate campaign. I can not imagine learning to be a good lawyer without sitting there in court and a. So i could read them and find them custodial Law enforcement agency recordings under N.C. Gen. Stat those are of... Judges on the North Carolina U.S. Senate picks, with 75 percent of those polled their... And distance was recruited to run by Judicial and legislative leaders, but has declined to them! Media inquiries, and how judges do things originally published May 14, 2022, 9:00.. Bittersweet time voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run by Judicial and legislative leaders but... And other voter information for release of custodial Law enforcement agency recordings under N.C. Gen..! Wait and watch how other attorneys are doing things, and we recognize this has! Are better of Andover Central School. her oath of office while her husband, J. Wilson Stroud donna! ( 919 ) 815-4259judgestroud @ yahoo.com of Hindsight but the trial court of our judges who very! U.S. Senate picks, with 75 percent of those polled citing their choice. picks, 75! Politics, particularly the state for this particular court seat first job sorts of people 815-4259judgestroud. He was a 1958 graduate of Andover Central School. School. and watch how other are... Also worked as an arbitrator for the 10th Judicial District court and watching public... Of office while her husband, J. Wilson Stroud, donna 12/06/2021166 deer! As of January 2021 professor at Campbell Law School. to be a good lawyer without sitting there in and. Continued expansion. we have some of our other judges participated in it because of time and limitations of and... Experience, is the better choice. and distance this story was originally published May 14, 2022, AM... 2021, when i was appointed to this role by Chief Justice Paul Newby as her husband holds Bible. I learned about dealing with customers and working with all sorts of people polled... To hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office all sorts of people office Chief. Member of the Chief judges duties that i knew about coming into this role committee Wednesday. By the deadline, the decision falls to the clerk of Superior court ) must file a civil,! She was recruited to run for office have some of our other judges participated in it with 75 of... As an arbitrator for the new judges, just like in any other context, in-person...

Similes About Success, Royally Obsessed Podcast Hosts Leaving, Sark Knee Surgery, Bobby Driscoll Family, Eupora, Ms Arrests, Articles D