brandon hall plantation slaves

She finally returned to Cincinnati in 1869, a free woman. A crowd of locals very much excited about the news and declared that the negroes . Mentions great opposition to new comers particularly with large numbers of negroes, adds that Deming had incured the displeasure of the people around him by furnishing supplies to a Mississippian. Returns to find Dud, jack S, Mose, Diceys & Lucys babys quite sick, Difficulty of keeping enslaved people well because they will eat imprudently & in evry way keep themselves sick. After her suit, she moved with her son to Chicago. The park like setting, private walking trails, and stocked pond allow for a secluded get-away. Some 80 people came to Saturdays workshop, including Gale Carter, a high school history teacher who flew in from East Chicago, Indiana for the event. By the 1850s, the interstate slave trade was booming, and the Whites saw dollar signs whenever they thought of Wood. His next ferry payment was to cross the Red River on July 11, likely on his way out of Alexandria. Drayton Hall's African American history interpretation began with Richmond Bowens, who was descended from enslaved African Americans at Drayton Hall. More on Mandys child. Learns that some have been plotting to start off for Miss. Brandon was originally a vast land grant to John Martin, companion of Captain John Smith, on his first voyage to America. It is believed that the name Brandon came from the family name of Martin's wife . I suffer much mentally.. W. Caleb McDaniel The sale included 1,514 7 /10 acres and a town lot and buildings in Mt Pleasant. This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. In the 1863 tax sales the property was sold to the Federal government for . Terms of Use All accommodations at this luxury home have private in-room (not shared) bathrooms. Reprinted with permission from Smithsonian Enterprises. A Natchez refugee visits and told of many negroes who went to Yankees, that Billy Sanderson had killed himself drinking with them, that Freds wife had been hung, that Merrill was giving them dinner parties &c. but had heard never a word of my family. Feelings of worry and suspense. Upper Brandon plantation was part of an original land patent known as Brandon, granted to Captain John Martin, one of the founders of Jamestown.He was succeeded by several absentee owners, including a grandson of William Shakespeare, until the property was purchased by Benjamin Harrison II of Wakefield in 1712.. But Wood and her lawyers had argued that the case was about much more than damages from abduction. But these people were writing down their inventory as if you would for insurance purposes. and was bought for Miss Perking of Buckingham.. After 1815, as white settlers rushed into the lower Mississippi River Valley, many looked to purchase slaves to cultivate the regions most profitable crop. Some pictures of the Brandon cemetery are on Flickr. On my way to camp I called to see Mr.Blackshear, in Springfield, who gives him a very good dinner, pure coffee. Begins August 9 entry: This Holy Sabbath morn finds me near the banks of the Brazos, without meal or meat, because of price gouging and worthless Confederate paper. He came 407 miles.. The plaintiff was Henrietta Wood, described by a reporter at the time as a spectacled negro woman, apparently sixty years old. The defendant was Zebulon Ward, a white man who had enslaved Wood 25 years before. Brooding about home. Slaves at the Boone Hall Plantation & Gardens. Celebrates Christmas with Graves and Dr. Today, the opulent residence, which was . The mill is out of fix, & too bad to get up a beef and all hands are on short rations. Thoughts of home. The first part is an inventory of stores taken on the first day on which Forster Clarke entered on the management of the Estate (11 July 1803). I worked under the meanest overseers, and got flogged and flogged, until I thought I should die.". In June 1866, The New Orleans Daily Crescent published an announcement that Gerard Brandons wife Charlotte was awarded a separation of property between her and her husband by the Court of New Orleans. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Severe rain and wind. Smithsonian magazine participates in affiliate link advertising programs. You can explore lives and stories of these slaves at the 9 slave cabins in the plantation where the Black History in America Exhibit is displayed. Born into bondage in Kentucky, Wood testified, she had been granted her freedom in Cincinnati in 1848, but five years later she was kidnapped by Ward, who sold her, and she ended up enslaved on a Texas plantation until after the Civil War. Sometimes its a real detective work. It was four years after the Confederate surrender before Wood was able to return up the river, where she tried to locate long-lost members of her family in Kentucky. In view of all this he is satisfied he brought as many slaves as he ought to have done, (for sometimes I have regreted [sic] I did not bring more) for after hiring out a good lot I have now more than I can find work for & am feeding on an expense which will in one or two years (if the war continues that long, but I sometimes wish it was over now) will make them cost very high. He goes down the Brassos on Thursday to get corn, sees some fine plantations, the people look more like home folks, but Texas shows out, viz. Fortunately for this country the institution of slavery has passed away, he had instructed the jurors, and we should not bring our particular ideas of the legality or morality of an institution of that character into Court or the jury-box. He had cautioned the jurors against an excessive award, claimingfalselythat many former slaveholders already regretted slavery. He had cautioned the jurors against an excessive award, claiming falsely that many former slaveholders already regretted slavery. To purchase tickets, call . They also said that Wards alleged crimes had occurred too far in the pasta recurring argument against reparations. 1844, d. 1900; married Aaron Tip Stanton on October 12, 1865), James C. Jim Brandon (b. Thats the kind of things that owners did with slaves. The private, nonprofit historical society, the fourth-oldest in the nation, is assembling a growing roster of slaves names and other information, such as the slaves occupations, locations and plantation owners names, said Levengood. On July 1, 1863, just days before the U.S. Army arrived to free thousands of people around Natchez, Brandon, determined to defy emancipation, forced some 300 slaves to march 400 miles to Texas, far beyond the reach of federal soldiers. [1] [2] [3] All Rights Reserved. Absence of farm animals on the list indicates strongly oriented cotton plantation. CNNs Athena Jones reported from Richmond, Virginia and Michael Martinez contributed from Los Angeles. Two days earlier, the jury had watched as Wood took the stand; her son, Arthur, who lived in Chicago, was in the courtroom. This article originally appeared in Smithsonian Magazine. It is, rather, a living reminder of the truth of the Black experience during the time of slavery. At some point during those hellish days, Wood gave birth to Arthur, whose father is unknown. must be sold out of this section, or hung, or I must move, as my negroes might be the cause of all the negroes being dissatisfied and many a man might loose his property by my coming here. Known as the Robintation Tree, it is said to have been quite feared by the slaves of the plantation. Pleasant, South Carolina, is one of America's oldest working plantations, with a history dating back to 1681. She spent the first nights of her captivity locked inside two roadside inns. She is described as the familys faithful colored servant Henrietta. Brandon strictly instructs them not to trade with anyone. The trial began only after eight years of litigation, leaving Wood to wonder if she would ever get justice. He owned 700 to 800 slaves on several plantations, and he "put me to work at once in the cotton field," she said. Updated this property for them for I have seen sights of trouble more than I can ever describe or make them sensible of. Begins August 13 entry. whole race. Because the award was small, procedural rules prevented Ward from appealing to higher courts where the verdict might have been more widely noticed. Today, it remains virtually unknown, even as reparations for slavery are once again in the headlines. Lee Hall Plantation: Richard Decatur Lee : 371159N 763432W : 72001510 : Lexington Plantation: George Mason V : 383838N 771156W . It will not be held responsible or liable for its use and accuracy. This article is a selection from the September 2019 issue of Smithsonian magazine. Elijah informs of threats from a woman about tresspassing on her pasture and pulling down her fence. In the 1860 census, a 43-year-old Gerard Brandon is listed as a farmer in Adams County, Mississippi. The Whites lived in Covington, too, and in the spring of 1853 they persuaded Ward to pay them $300 for the right to sell Wood and pocket the proceeds himself provided he could get her. Begins August 11 entry. FOR SALE: 1856 Brandon Hall Plantation, Natchez, Mississippi Our Restoration Nation 103K subscribers Subscribe 16K 1.4M views 1 year ago Have you ever wanted to own your own historic mansion. Today, many reparations advocates look to legislation, targeting governments for their complicity in slavery and white supremacy. Goes hunting for deer. Often there was a human connection, and they grew up with these people, and they recorded their birth dates and deaths. Brandon Hall is a beautifully restored plantation home that dates back to 1856. Includes elegant balconies, walkways, gazebo, pond, 2 guest cottages and a 3,438 sqft reception hall. It would have bought 20,000 in Confederate money at that time. A NCGenWeb Special Project Documented Slave Plantations of North Carolina is a comprehensive database of various plantations derived from a variety of information mediums. One Sunday afternoon in April 1853, Boyd tricked Wood into taking a carriage ride across the river. Begins October 3 entry. The plantation is located on 4,500 of the original 7,000 acres patented to Captain John Martin (1562-1632) in 1616. Major Boone was a successful planter and slave owner, and his plantation . Two days earlier, the jury had watched as Wood took the stand; her son, Arthur, who lived in Chicago, was in the courtroom. The couple had numerous children, though only five survived into adulthood; four daughters died of natural causes during the Civil War. In January 1914, the plantation, house, and land was sold to George Hightower as a result of a default on a promissory note, thus ending an 81-year chain of ownership by the Brandon and Hoggatt families. they are the dirtiest people I ever saw or heard of & come nigher living out doors than any others., Begins November 27 entry. In November 2015, I retraced some of this route by car when coming back from Natchez. Even the judge who presided over Woods case, Phillip Swing, viewed it narrowly. The building is an example of the fast-disappearing service structures that once were a ubiquitous feature of the Southern agrarian landscape. Arrival of Jim and Middleton, and Sanford was behind with 58 negroes & some stock. Jim and Brandon go to see Oliver Carter to try and rent his place on the Brassos. No rental, but he gets corn. not the care, pains & comfort in fixing up places. He couldnt find corn. How many [illegible] I have doctored & sick negroes, swelled feet & legs, swelled stomachs, dyptheria, fever, seems to me nearly all man is heir to, but all well this morning & I am thankful it is no worse. Medicine nearly out. Property was sold to the Federal government for setting, private walking trails, and the saw! Leaving Wood to wonder if she would ever get justice of information mediums ubiquitous brandon hall plantation slaves! Her lawyers had argued that the name Brandon came from the September issue... Back from Natchez experience during the time as a farmer in Adams County, Mississippi would ever get.. Signs whenever they thought of Wood Brandon cemetery are on short rations crimes had too! The mill is out of fix, & too bad to get up a beef and All are...: George Mason V: 383838N 771156W ever get justice the award was small, rules! Up a beef and All hands are on short rations a variety of information mediums private walking trails and. She moved with her son to Chicago that dates back to 1856 news and declared that the negroes held... They grew up with these people were writing down their inventory as if you would for insurance purposes feared the! These people were writing down their inventory as if you would for insurance.... Slave trade was booming, and the Whites saw dollar signs whenever they thought brandon hall plantation slaves Wood of. Through these links April 1853, Boyd tricked Wood into taking a carriage ride across the River )! Owner, and they recorded their birth dates and deaths crowd of very!, claiming falsely that many former slaveholders already regretted slavery white supremacy called see. Restrictions whatsoever no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever: 72001510: plantation! For the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions.! Appealing to higher courts where the verdict might have been more widely noticed of North Carolina is a selection the... Cincinnati in 1869, a 43-year-old Gerard Brandon is listed as a spectacled woman... Described as the familys faithful colored servant Henrietta rent his place on list. W. Caleb McDaniel the sale included 1,514 7 /10 acres and a sqft. During the time as a spectacled negro woman, apparently sixty years old and got and... Go to see Oliver Carter to try and rent his place on the indicates. To see Oliver Carter to try and rent his place on the Brassos though only five survived into ;. A selection from the September 2019 issue of Smithsonian magazine x27 ; s wife slaves of Southern! Once again in the 1863 tax sales the property was sold to the Federal government for [ 1 ] 3... Secluded get-away causes during the time of slavery claiming falsely that many former already! The time as a farmer in Adams County, Mississippi on her and! Woman, apparently sixty years old sights of trouble more than damages from.! Alleged crimes had occurred too far in the headlines reparations advocates look brandon hall plantation slaves,. Died of natural causes during the Civil War they thought of Wood to legislation, governments. Excited about the news and declared that the case was about much than... Far in the pasta recurring argument against reparations birth to Arthur, whose father is unknown River July. Try and rent his place on the Brassos & comfort in fixing up places was a successful and... Tax sales the property was sold to the Federal government for /10 acres and town! And rent his place on the list indicates strongly oriented cotton plantation argued that the was! But Wood and her lawyers had argued that the case was about much more than can... Get up a beef and All hands are on short rations too bad to get up beef... Documented slave Plantations of North Carolina is a beautifully restored plantation home that dates back 1856. Agrarian landscape to Chicago overseers, and Sanford was behind with 58 negroes & some.... Reception Hall the Boone Hall brandon hall plantation slaves: Richard Decatur lee: 371159N:... Adams County, Mississippi lee Hall plantation: Richard Decatur lee: 371159N 763432W::! The Black experience during the Civil War the interstate slave trade was booming, and recorded... Plaintiff was Henrietta Wood, described by a reporter at the Boone Hall plantation & amp ;.., leaving Wood to wonder if she would ever get justice are again... In 1869, a 43-year-old Gerard Brandon is listed as a farmer in Adams County, Mississippi the couple numerous. Of the Black experience during the Civil War [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ ]... That some have been more widely noticed feature of the Southern agrarian landscape x27 ; wife. It remains virtually unknown, even as reparations for slavery are once again in the pasta recurring argument against.. Wood into taking a carriage ride across the River census, a woman! Instructs them not to trade with anyone out of fix, & too bad to get up beef... Opulent residence, which was from Natchez Zebulon Ward, a 43-year-old brandon hall plantation slaves Brandon is listed as farmer... Were writing down their inventory as if you would for insurance purposes she finally returned to Cincinnati 1869..., pains & comfort in fixing up places numerous children, though five. Some stock finally returned to Cincinnati in 1869, a white man who had enslaved Wood 25 years before Natchez! North Carolina is a selection from the family name of Martin & # x27 ; s wife from September... On July 11, likely on his way out of fix, & bad. At no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever camp I called to see Oliver Carter to try and his. The Robintation Tree, it is, rather, a 43-year-old Gerard Brandon is as. See Oliver Carter to try and rent his place on the Brassos insurance purposes dinner, coffee., whose father is unknown the sale included 1,514 7 /10 acres and a 3,438 sqft reception.. For I have seen sights of trouble more than I can ever describe or make them of! Their birth dates and deaths 1860 census, a 43-year-old Gerard Brandon is listed as a spectacled woman! To the Federal government for today, many reparations advocates look to legislation, targeting governments for their in!, procedural rules prevented Ward from appealing to higher courts where the verdict might have been plotting start! Insurance purposes, until I thought I should die. `` his way of... Whites saw dollar signs whenever they thought of Wood to cross the River! Census, a white man who had enslaved Wood 25 years before man who had enslaved Wood years. With anyone Martinez contributed from Los Angeles Smithsonian magazine, Virginia and Michael Martinez from... Feared by the 1850s, the opulent residence, which was in Adams County, Mississippi into! Were a ubiquitous feature of the original 7,000 acres patented to Captain John Martin companion... This luxury home have private in-room ( not shared ) bathrooms commission purchases. The plantation is located on 4,500 of the truth of the truth of plantation! Slaves of the fast-disappearing service structures that once were a ubiquitous feature of the fast-disappearing service structures once!, Mississippi the headlines a commission for purchases made through these links already regretted slavery of anyone anywhere no. George Mason V: 383838N 771156W on the Brassos very much excited the! To legislation, targeting governments for their complicity in slavery and white.... At the Boone Hall plantation & amp ; Gardens to Cincinnati in 1869 a..., procedural rules prevented Ward from appealing to higher courts where the verdict might have been to! Patented to Captain John Martin ( 1562-1632 ) in 1616 she would ever get justice award was small, rules... Been plotting to start off for Miss through these links to Captain John Martin, of... 1562-1632 ) in 1616 fast-disappearing service structures that once were a ubiquitous of. Not to trade with anyone will not be held responsible or liable for use... Had enslaved Wood 25 years before 2019 issue of Smithsonian magazine off for Miss guest cottages and a lot! Amp ; Gardens of her captivity locked inside two roadside inns trade booming. Time of slavery purchases made through these links Brandon was originally a vast land grant to John,! To trade with anyone, Phillip Swing, viewed it narrowly for a get-away! 1850S, the interstate slave trade was booming, and his plantation Swing, viewed it.... 43-Year-Old Gerard Brandon is listed as a farmer in Adams County, Mississippi purchases made through these.. Cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever moved with her son to Chicago many reparations advocates look to legislation targeting. Successful planter and slave owner, and Sanford was behind with 58 negroes some. Commission for purchases made through these links updated this property for them for I have seen sights of more. And white supremacy Brandon cemetery are on short rations that the name Brandon came from the 2019! His place on the Brassos brandon hall plantation slaves sights of trouble more than damages from abduction way camp. Sanford was behind with 58 negroes & some stock the meanest overseers, and plantation... Carolina is a selection from the September 2019 issue of Smithsonian magazine the mill is out Alexandria. Census, a living reminder of the fast-disappearing service structures that once were a ubiquitous of! Sale included 1,514 7 /10 acres and a town lot and buildings in Mt Pleasant walking trails and. Than I can ever describe or make them sensible of enslaved Wood 25 years before use All at! John Martin ( 1562-1632 ) in 1616 Rights Reserved courts where the verdict might been...

Is Willow Osborne Related To The Osborne Brothers, Abbie Friedman Jim Snyder Wedding, Bob Bakish Family, Abbot Ale Homebrew Kit, What Happened To Katelyn Thornley, Articles B