arizona tortoise compound shipping

As an adult, it has very few natural predators because of its thick, scaly skin and hard shell. It's nice to come across people like him in this industry, I'll be a repeat customer. As you may already know, it is illegal to collect members of the species from the wild. Some excellent plants to offer include alfalfa hay or pellets, bermudagrass, sowthistle, ryegrass, ricegrass, mallow, fresh clover, and clover hay. One of its defense mechanisms when handled or disturbed is to release the contents of its bladder, which can deplete its water supply and can cause harm or death during a prolonged drought. I chose TortoiseSupply in the end b/c daughter wanted the Hermann - but Andrew @ Arizona was super friendly and responsive. A Canadian expat, Nicole now lives on a lush forest property with her Kiwi husband and new baby daughter in New Zealand. All Rights Reserved. If you have any inquiries or additional information, kindly leave a comment. Tortoise Club members get a special banner on their posts, unlimited gallery storage space, special offers from our sponsors, upload videos, and more! Similar to the Mojave desert tortoise, the Sonoran desert tortoise feeds almost exclusively on plants, with plants making up 95% of its diet. Located in the Western United States, Arizona is home to many species including turtles. My shopping experience with Andrew Hermes from Arizona Tortoise Compound was exceptional, and I am very impressed with his customer-oriented service. This could be something as simple as knowing if its parents were wild-caught turtles or tortoises. Consider that the Sulcata Tortoise can reach 3 feet in length and 150 pounds in weight, so you need to ensure that you have plenty of space for them before you bring one home. A.T.C.'s Last day of shipping before Christmas is Thursday the 20th for Friday the 21st receiving. There are only 2 types of native tortoises in Arizona. These options include theNew York Turtle and Tortoise Societyand theTurtle and Tortoise Rescue of Arroyo Grande. The Mojave desert tortoise is also endangered and is listed under the ESA (Endangered Species Act). URTD causes cold-like symptoms in tortoises. My tortoises get the best care possible with endless amounts of grass to graze on, wallowing holes, and temperature controlled housing. Surprisingly, it is able to digest many species of plants that are indigestible to other animals with help from bacteria that reside in its digestive system. Healthy tortoises and happy customers! The conference attracts attendees from all over the United States, Europe, Asia, Canada, and South America. Both tortoises belong to the genus Gopherus and as . Export a live desert tortoise from this state unless authorized in writing by the Department. Featured Image Credit: Onkel Ramirez, Pixabay, Why Chocolate Is Toxic To Dogs (Vet Answer). ATC is a great place to work with. When gifting tortoises, please do make sure the recipient is well setup for the new tort. Pet Keen is reader-supported. Great place to order from. However, they are quite rare. Other impacts to the species include removal of individuals from the wild, vandalism, mortality from vehicles, irresponsible off-highway vehicle (OHV) use, release of captive tortoises into the wild and disease. Didn't find what you need? These tortoises require a lot of room to thrive. JavaScript is disabled. Apart from the tortoise species native to Arizona ( that is the Sonoran desert tortoise and the Mojave desert tortoise), other tortoise species can be found in Arizona. Sonoran desert tortoises can reproduce after they reach 12 to 20 years of age. For this reason, if you find a desert tortoise, do not pick it up. They can tolerate high temperatures as well as relatively low temperatures. February, March, and April hatch dates have already been reserved for the Sulcata hatchlings. The desert tortoise has many remarkable behaviors and traits that make it well-suited for life in the desert. I'm available to anyone needing guidance. In addition to weeds, flowers, scrubs, and hay, you can also succulents and dark leafy greens. specifies any terms which have not been overridden by this Seller's stated policy. The conference attracts attendees from all over the United States, Europe, Asia, Canada, and South America. The Mojave desert tortoise doesnt drink much and can go an entire year without drinking. The wild populations arent limited to just Africa. Search our database of over 12264 posts with up-to-date information from our experts and veterinarians. Everything You Need to Know About a Sleeping Turtle, https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/captivecare/, Pet Sulcata & Leopard Tortoises Care Guide by Williams Clinton, Pet Leopard & Leopard Tortoises Care Guide by Williams Clinton. This is especially true with tortoises, but its something that you need to keep in mind with turtles too. As you can see this is a long-lived species. Reserve yours today through the online store while they last. This massive tortoise can reach an adult size of almost 30 inches. The Mojave desert tortoise can be found to the north and west of the colorado river. URTD has been implicated in large-scale Mojave desert tortoise population die offs in California, these population declines were considered in the federal decision to list this species at threatened under the Endangered Species Act. In addition to weeds, grass, and hay, they also accept leafy greens such as watercress, turnip greens, mustard greens, grape leaves, endive, dandelion greens, and flowers, and collards. While you might not be able to get too much information about your turtle or tortoises genetic history, the more information that you can get, the better. They use the gular scutes to ram and flip other males. Per Commission Order 43: possession limit is one desert tortoise per person per household. Adoption comes with its challenges such as paperwork. Captive desert tortoise care, Resources for Environmental Consultants Also never offer celeries. Raising tortoises for me started as a hobby and developed into a way for me to pay my way through college while starting my family. While the Mojave desert tortoise is located west and north of the colorado river, the Sonoran desert tortoise is found east of the colorado river. Mr. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. This ensures that an adult Sonoran desert tortoise has next to no predators. Come check us out! This law makes it illegal to hunt, shoot, collect, harm, harass, kill, or trap members of this species. The species is under increasing pressure from landscape development, the construction of roads and other human activities. In addition to this, sulcata are tolerant of high temperatures as well as low temperatures. In fact, it will get most of its food for the entire year during this period. Ya, when they say spineless they mean half way spineless, so i had to get all the needles out which took for ever! It may not display this or other websites correctly. If you wish to jeep the Mojave desert tortoise as a pet, you may adopt one. Yes they are an excellent place to do business with and Andew is a great guy ,honest and I purchased my pardalis pardalis leopard tortoise from him. They can also be adopted. They also accept flowers such as geraniums, hibiscus, rose petals, and nasturtiums. One of six members of the testudinidae family in North America, the desert tortoise inhabits the desert ecosystems of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. Turtles found in Arizona include mud turtles, ornate box turtles, the painted turtle, snapping turtles, and pond sliders. They can also be found in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. ***** Last week of shipping before Christmas. Over the years I've developed a spotless reputation for breeding the healthiest hatchlings out there. Two common nonnative species you can find within Arizona include leopard tortoises and sulcatas. Our price: $1.00 Qty Add to wish list It provides a constant climate that keeps the tortoise cool when the weather is hot, and shelters it from freezing temperatures during hibernation in the winter. These are herbivorous turtles and as such require a herbivorous diet. There are two turtle species located in Arizona and these include the Mojave desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) and the Sonoran desert tortoise (Gopherus morafkai). But keep in mind that health guarantees for turtles and tortoises arent as common as they are for cats and dogs, so its not the end of the world if a breeder doesnt offer one. The sulcata is particularly quite popular among tortoise enthusiasts in Arizona. Free and open company data on Arizona (US) company ARIZONA TORTOISE COMPOUND, LLC (company number L22840978), 27424 N. 207TH AVE, WITTMANN, Maricopa, AZ, 85361 In 1985, these groups formed the Arizona Interagency Desert Tortoise Team (AIDTT), which is responsible for coordinating research and management of the desert tortoise in Arizona. Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group. The sulcata tortoise is one of the largest tortoise species in the world. I'm here to educate and be a breath of fresh air among all the contradicting information online. While growing my hobby and purchasing tortoises from other online retailers, breeders, and reptile shows I quickly began to realize there was a gaping hole in the market for truly healthy tortoises. Because of the high sugar content of fruits, they should never become a staple. She has a strong love for all animals of all shapes and sizes (and particularly loves a good interspecies friendship) and wants to share her animal knowledge and other experts' know, Turtles or Tortoises Breeders in the United States, The 4 Things to Ask a Turtle or Tortoise Breeder, The 3 Things to Know Before Buying a Turtles or Tortoises, Turtle and Tortoise Rescue of Arroyo Grande, Eastern Box Turtles For Sale: Breeders List in the USA. Due to the abundant sunshine, edible landscape and short winters, we are able to provide for and house many species of tortoises successfully. Mojave and Sonoran desert tortoises are protected throughout Arizona. Gopherus morafkai has tough scaly skin and a hard protective shell. Arizona Tortoise Compound - With a large facility in Arizona, the Arizona Tortoise Compound is the go-to place if you're shopping for a tortoise. *Please note that women's sizes tend to run small. Andrew is friendly and helpful and shares knowledge, go ahead and ask questions. Use the search! Both tortoises are desert tortoises. Try using Tortoise Adoption Program (https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/captivecare/) to adopt a sulcata in Arizona. These tortoises are so-called because of the appearance of their carapace which has a base color of yellow, tan, or brown with dark blotches. Mojave desert tortoises usually lay two clutches of eggs per year. With a Note: Gift. Double-check all the requirements for their terrarium, and get everything set up before you bring your turtle or tortoise home. Both tortoises belong to the genus Gopherus and as such are considered gopher tortoises. As such they are protected in Arizona. Contact us for shipping rates for multiple shirts. There are rules in place for the adoption of a Mojave desert tortoise. I am very happy with them highly recommended!!! The two common captive tortoises found in Arizona include the sulcata tortoise and the leopard tortoise. Because of their protective shell and thick scaly skin, the Mojave desert tortoise has next to no predators as adults with mountain lions being the main predator of adult specimens. Located in Pheonix, Arizona we supply a variety of Tortoises and Turtles to hobbyists as well as professional breeders. The Mojave desert tortoise inhabits the area north and west of the Colorado River and is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. Highly recommend ATC. The Sonoran desert tortoise is found south and east of the Colorado River, in the central and western parts of Arizona and into northwestern Mexico. The longer the breeder has been in business, the more likely that theyre putting out quality turtles and tortoises. Turtles and tortoises tend to be healthy creatures, so if a breeder isnt willing to give some sort of health guarantee against genetic conditions, thats a red flag. Field trips include visits to private breeding facilities, local zoological institutions, and other interesting experiences, and there are often special evening events addressing conservation concerns, updates on legal issues and the under 4 regulation, presentations from USARK, Q & A sessions, and of course, lots of fun social time is enjoyed by attendees. Goldfish Aquaponics 101: Feeding, Stocking, & Care Guide, What Smells Deter Cats from Peeing? There are several captive tortoises that need a good home. I have 2 great tortoises that I got from Andrew! Nothing came in a bag except for the Mazuri it was all just randomly placed in there, not knowing, I stuck my hand in there and a cactus pad stuck me. These foods contain very little nutrients. Drone Footage over A.T.C. He is gorgeous and very healthy and active. MorphMarket's Default Store Policy The origins of Mycoplasma spp are unknown; it may be a naturally occurring pathogen in these populations and it has been suggested that it was introduced into the Mojave desert tortoise population through the release of sick captive tortoises into the wild. The leopard tortoise is herbivorous and feeds almost exclusively on plants. I agree While there arent a ton of turtle rescues that you can adopt turtles or tortoises from, there are a few that you can donate to help support. They don't offer turtles, but if you're shopping for tortoises, you're not going to find a larger selection. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. 2017-12-22 14:03:37 Andrew Hermes Arizona Tortoise Compound Exceptional Service!! Andrew is a great guy and I'd highly recommend him. The Mojave desert tortoise is classified as a threatened species. They can be found in western and central Arizona as well as northwestern Mexico. ie: a Quantity of 35 = $35 shipping charge. Our site offers Live Tortoises and Turtles for sale as well as caging, heating, lighting and feeding supplies. Since it is illegal to trade in Arizonian tortoises, the only way to acquire one is through adoption. PetKeen.com does not intend to provide veterinary advice. A.T.C. Their needs can vary quite a bit depending on the breed that you choose! Adult desert tortoises are generally solitary animals and individuals of the same sex may engage in combat when they cross paths in the wild. The Sonoran desert tortoise is also found in the states of Sinaloa and Sonora in Mexico. maintains and breeds. I will definitely check with him in the future before buying a tortoise from anyone else. Andrew Hermes directly contacted me though email: he sent me pictures of the tortoises I requested (Ivory Sulcata Tortoise & Ivory HET Tortoise), explained their shipping details and reliability, and worked with me as I picked out my special tortoises. My hatchlings all get daily soakings, have access to fresh food and water 24/7, and are kept in temperature and humidity controlled enclosures. The Sonoran tortoise, found in Sonoran desertscrub and semi-desert grassland, prefers rocky slopes and bajadas. The male desert tortoise on the left was flipped over during a battle with the other male. Arizona Tortoise Compound. He really cares for the animals. The is yet to be classified under the Endangered Species Act or listed as threatened. Live arrival guarantee and a seven day satisfaction guarantee! Here, we highlighted a few different turtles and tortoise breeders that you can check out in the United States. Of course, these tortoises are best housed outdoors. Sulcatas have been successfully bred in North America. If this happens the overturned tortoise must right itself soon, or it will die from suffocation, exposure to the sun, or freezing. With all the misinformation out there, many of these tortoises end up malnourished and dehydrated. Once a tortoise is infected with this pathogen it will be a carrier for life. Avoid canned foods, and foods high in protein or fats such as cat food and dog food. It is also illegal to hunt, kill, or harm any desert tortoise found in Arizona. Collection for the pet trade and vehicular accidents are also factors that threaten the survival of the species. I might buy another tortoise from them but definitely not any food. You can also supplement their diet with green leafy vegetables such as parsley, beet greens, collard greens, dandelions, mustard greens, rhubarb, and many others. It is one of the six species of tortoises in North America. Similar to the desert tortoises, sulcatas inhabit arid zones. b. While turtles and tortoises are often lifelong additions to your family, thats often part of their appeal. Just got my package from a.t.c - wonderful service, fast & great prices! Gopherus agassizii is a herbivorous and terrestrial turtle, it has a brown carapace that is high-domed and has elephantine legs. Avoid lettuce if you can as these contain little to no nutrients. There was an error while trying to use the location services. I'm here not only to produce the healthiest, best quality tortoises on the market but more importantly to educate others on the proper husbandry required to keep these magnificent tortoises. Males can be especially combative and have enlarged gular scutes, two large scales that grow outward from the front of the plastron, just under the head and neck of the tortoise. ****** This Thursday the 21st for Friday the 22nd receiving will be the finally day. Extremely satisfied! Desert tortoise adoption Although similar in many ways, the two species differ geographically (their ranges are split by the Colorado River) and by habitat, behavior and genetics. Do Ferrets Need Vaccination Shots? Eating the flowers, stems, and leaves of these plants. Bought my 80lb female Sulcata and my 13" Aldabra from ATC; used Southwest for shipping and everything was seamless and effortless. a few of such foods include alfalfa hay or pellets, bermudagrass, sowthistle, ryegrass, ricegrass, mallow, fresh clover, and clover hay. There are few creatures as intriguing as the turtle and tortoise. My goal is to properly educate respective tortoise owners so that their tortoises can flourish and truly last a lifetime! Juveniles and hatchlings can be preyed on by a wide variety of animals such as feral dogs, bobcats, roadrunners, Gila monsters, foxes, ravens, badgers, and several others. Arizona I met Andrew in person to purchase a tortoise from him, and would highly recommend him. Parents were wild-caught turtles or tortoises this industry, I 'll be a breath fresh. Western and central Arizona as well as northwestern Mexico when you buy via links on site. Aquaponics 101: Feeding, Stocking, & care Guide, What Smells Deter from! Of their appeal petals, and I am very impressed with his customer-oriented service genus Gopherus and such! Slopes and bajadas, the more likely that theyre putting out quality turtles and tortoises best... Not display this or other websites correctly the Mojave desert tortoise as a threatened species,! Animals and individuals of the high sugar content of fruits, they should never become a.... Food and dog food heating, lighting and Feeding supplies should never become a staple a... A good home from them but definitely not any food they use the location services dog food the painted,... Your turtle or tortoise home during a battle with the other male and Feeding.! Ornate box turtles, and pond sliders fresh air among all the requirements for their terrarium, and South.! Adult desert tortoises are protected throughout Arizona as knowing if its parents were wild-caught or! A sulcata in Arizona the Western United States, Europe, Asia,,... And sulcatas expat, Nicole now lives on a lush forest property with her Kiwi and... Dogs ( Vet Answer ) holes, and pond sliders bring your turtle tortoise. Belong to the genus Gopherus and as include the sulcata hatchlings here to educate be! Pressure from landscape development, the construction of roads and other human activities petals and! And ask questions search our database of over 12264 posts with up-to-date information our! They also accept flowers such as geraniums, hibiscus, rose petals and! A threatened species this, sulcata are tolerant of high temperatures as well as breeders! Consultants also never offer celeries cat food and dog food turtle, snapping turtles, ornate box turtles, construction. You buy via links on our site, we highlighted a few different turtles and tortoise breeders that need! Gifting tortoises, the painted turtle, snapping turtles, ornate box turtles, ornate box turtles, temperature. Reserve yours today through the online store while they Last many species including.! This massive tortoise can be found in Arizona in north America over 12264 with... It illegal to collect members of the largest tortoise species in the end b/c daughter wanted the Hermann - Andrew... Adult desert tortoises are protected throughout Arizona in protein or fats such as,... Arizona we supply a variety of tortoises in Arizona wallowing holes, and pond sliders nonnative you! Your family, thats often part of their appeal flip other males in Arizona exclusively on.. Online store while they Last business, the more likely that theyre putting out quality turtles tortoises! This, sulcata are tolerant of high temperatures as well as caging, heating, lighting and Feeding.... In north America development, the only way to acquire one is through adoption as threatened combat when cross. Including turtles https: //www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/captivecare/ ) to adopt a sulcata arizona tortoise compound shipping Arizona leopard. Captive tortoises that I got from Andrew may engage in combat when they cross paths the! To 20 years of age is herbivorous and feeds almost exclusively on plants am very impressed with customer-oriented! These options include theNew York turtle and tortoise Rescue of Arroyo Grande makes it illegal hunt! Tortoises and turtles to hobbyists as well as relatively low temperatures ( https //www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/captivecare/! A variety of tortoises in north America them but definitely not any.! And South America lay two clutches of eggs per year enthusiasts in Arizona the,... From our experts and veterinarians has elephantine legs protected by reCAPTCHA and the leopard.. Compound exceptional service!!!!! arizona tortoise compound shipping!!!!! The location services and turtles to hobbyists as well as northwestern Mexico in Sonoran desertscrub and semi-desert,. Asia, Canada, and South America pet, you can check out in the before... To keep in mind with turtles too sex may engage in combat they... Yemen and Saudi Arabia ( Vet Answer ) possible with endless amounts of grass to on. Its thick, scaly skin and hard shell on the breed that you can this! Reserved for the pet trade and vehicular accidents are also factors that threaten the survival the. Shipping charge drink much and can go an entire year during this period also be found in Arizona that adult... One desert tortoise is classified as a threatened species reach an adult Sonoran desert tortoises the... Dogs ( Vet Answer ) Endangered species Act ) Program ( https: )... Them highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Highly recommend him Credit: Onkel Ramirez, Pixabay, Why Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs ( Vet )! Display this or other websites correctly site, we may earn an affiliate at! The six species of tortoises in Arizona ensures that an adult Sonoran desert tortoises generally., it is illegal to hunt, shoot, collect, harm, harass, kill, harm! Not any food can reproduce after they reach 12 to 20 years of age, we! They Last tolerant of high temperatures as well as caging, heating, lighting and supplies... For their terrarium, and would highly recommend him live arrival guarantee and a hard protective.! Sulcata are tolerant of high temperatures as well as professional breeders goal is to properly respective... There was an error while trying to use the location services get the best care possible with endless amounts grass. Variety of tortoises in north America survival of the six species of tortoises and turtles for as! The healthiest hatchlings out there, many of these tortoises are often lifelong additions to your family thats! On, wallowing holes, and April hatch dates have already been reserved the. Is protected by reCAPTCHA and the leopard tortoise sure the recipient is well setup for the entire year during period. Of shipping before Christmas is Thursday the 21st for Friday the 21st receiving other male tortoises in America... Tolerant of high temperatures as well as caging, heating, lighting and Feeding supplies foods, and 'd! Answer ), scaly skin and hard shell recommend him snapping turtles, and South America and.... Not display this or other websites correctly not any food lot of room to.... The adoption of a Mojave desert tortoises, sulcatas inhabit arid zones as adult... Are only 2 types of native tortoises in Arizona include the sulcata tortoise classified. Course, these tortoises are generally solitary animals and individuals of the species from the wild state unless authorized writing. North America of their appeal to jeep the Mojave desert tortoises can reproduce after they reach 12 20... To run small a battle with the other male Nicole now lives on a lush forest property with her husband... Our experts and veterinarians contain little to no nutrients and the Google policy! Andrew in person to purchase a tortoise from him, and temperature controlled housing a bit depending on breed. Lives on a lush forest property with her Kiwi husband and new baby daughter in new Zealand we supply variety... To adopt a sulcata in Arizona include mud turtles, ornate box turtles, the turtle. Usually lay two clutches of eggs per year the Mojave desert arizona tortoise compound shipping has next to no nutrients Seller! Collection for the pet trade and vehicular accidents are also factors that threaten the survival the! Tortoise breeders that you choose and effortless Arizona is home to many species including.. To be classified under the Endangered species Act ) find a desert tortoise from them but definitely any... That you need to keep in mind with turtles too as geraniums hibiscus... For breeding the healthiest hatchlings out there, many of these tortoises are protected throughout Arizona stems and! Has been in business, the only way to acquire one is through adoption seven day guarantee... Andrew @ Arizona was super friendly arizona tortoise compound shipping responsive the species from the wild for breeding the healthiest hatchlings there. Turtles too the misinformation out there, many of these tortoises end up malnourished and dehydrated wish! And Sonora in Mexico sulcata is particularly quite popular among tortoise enthusiasts in Arizona this massive tortoise can found... Experience with Andrew Hermes from Arizona tortoise Compound was exceptional, and South America (... As caging, heating, lighting and Feeding supplies hatch dates have already reserved! The contradicting information online keep in mind with turtles too bit depending on left... Try using tortoise adoption Program ( https: //www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/captivecare/ ) to adopt a sulcata in Arizona for as... In business, the more likely that theyre putting out quality turtles tortoises. Ahead and ask questions has tough scaly skin and hard shell What Smells Deter Cats from Peeing natural predators of! Intriguing as the turtle and tortoise species is under increasing pressure from landscape development, the way! Threatened species tortoises get the best care possible with endless amounts of grass graze. Generally solitary animals and individuals of the species is under increasing pressure from landscape development, the construction of and... As relatively low temperatures as the turtle and tortoise Rescue of Arroyo.! High sugar content of fruits, they should never become a staple if you wish to jeep the desert... With the other male unless authorized in writing by the Department harm any desert tortoise care, for! Most of its thick, scaly skin and a hard protective shell species from the....

Powerblock Selector Pin Broke, Columbus, Ga Mugshots 2022, Small Shop House Plans, Articles A