460 weatherby magnum recoil

When my son was a young kidlet, I decided to show him that recoil really wasn't nothing to fret about. Wow. Their Dangerous Game Rifle offers a sub-MOA accuracy guarantee, the Weatherby LXX trigger, a short 54-degree bolt lift, and the famous Weatherby Magnum 9-lug action. On game, with adrenaline pumping, effects of recoil are greatly reduced. Jeffery in 1903, it has a straight three-inch case, originally using 120 grains of Cordite. The .450/400 3" Nitro Express is a wonderful cartridge for single-shots and double rifles. Thats what i love about my .470NE. I find the .378 with an Accubrake to be about equal with the .340 without an Accubrake. I go back a ways with the .577, the oldest and most popular of the three. The cookie is set by Google Analytics and is deleted when the user closes the browser. If youre going to shoot big guns, it aint pleasant no matter how you slice it. Its that BIG a brute in the recoil area! After WWII, when the supplies of British ammunition began to dry up, Winchester saw an opportunity to fill the void, introducing their .458 Winchester Magnum in 1956. Shortly after the .460 Weatherby appeared, the rifle-making firm of Atkinson & Marquart, a builder of high-grade rifles in Prescott, Ariz., developed this beast. When it comes to hunting truly big game game that can and will turn the tables and make you the hunted instead of the hunter a cartridge of suitable size and power is most certainly called for. When shooting or being near shooting, wear hearing protection. Matte-finished metalwork and stock. The cartridge is based on the .378 Weatherby Magnum necked up to accept the .458-inch (11.6 mm) bullet. John Brownings monster cartridge (It looks like a giant .30/06.) The 400-grain bullets can be pushed to 1,900 or even 2,000 fps in modern loads, making it a good choice for the North American heavyweights, namely the brown bear and bison. While the "standard" calibers especially with modern bullets can handle 90 percent or more of the world's game, these cartridges are usually reserved for the big beasts. .240 Weatherby Magnum.243 Winchester.243 Winchester Super Short Magnum.25 ACP.25 Winchester Super Short Magnum.25-06 Remington.250-3000 Savage.257 Roberts.257 Roberts +P.257 Weatherby Magnum.260 Remington.264 Winchester Magnum.270 Winchester.270 Winchester Short Magnum.280 Remington.280 Remington Ackley Improved.30 Carbine.30 TC.30-06 Springfield "Ker-plunk." There are undoubtedly others I don't know about. Spotting this ram was down to pure hunting luck at 300m. Let's set the record straight A lot of other very powerful rifles weigh as much or more than a 460 Weatherby. He makes sure that his ammo is up to full spec, 2,050 fps. A short clip made at a giggle shoot with a 460 Weatherby Magnum after it had broken it's mounts and bent the scope tube due to recoil. For example, pay attention to what Hornady has done with their dangerous game bullets to make them even more reliable. After I shoot it I'll post my opinion of the recoil. If you like fast, and you enjoy heave bullets, the .416 Weatherby may be for you. I had a custom 460 built quite a few years ago. The cookie is updated every time data is sent to Google Analytics. of energy. SMITH & WESSON 686-4 357 MAGNUM. Good loads shoot three shots in about an inch. Take a look; I think you'll see that it's no big deal. The .700 in full recoil is quite an experience. The .375 Weatherby is essentially a .375 Improved, but with the trademark Weatherby double radius shoulder. Of course, you can increase the velocity on a big bore. None of the three are common, and all are expensive (both rifles and ammo). Expectional free range common reedbuck. Available in 12 and 20ga., 3.5" chambering. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. Factory-equipped choke is an extended Full and fluted for tool free removal. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); .460 Weatherby Magnum-Weatherby Round Nose Expanding, .460 Weatherby Magnum-A2 Dead Tough SP, Monolithic Solid, Lion Load SP, .460 Weatherby Magnum-Weatherby Full Metal Jacket, .460 Weatherby Magnum-Weatherby Barnes-X. I haven't gotten around to putting a scope on it yet however that'll change after the holidays and then Mr. .460 and I are going to be spending some time together on the range. After looking it over I highly doubt it was ever shot because the bluing inside the barrel doesn't have the slightest mark on it. Kali Parmley of Gun Dog Magazine talks to George Thompson from Benelli USA about the new features from the Benelli line in 2023. The rifles will be quite heavy and not a lot of fun to carry. Disclaimer: This product is not manufactured, authorized, endorsed, or warranted by GLOCK. It will take several years, and the price, now, is a quarter of a million dollars. There are also some really amazing wildcats out there as well, combining the caliber and bullet weight of these old double-rifle cartridges with the higher pressures that a bolt action can handle. Plus, email me the latest deals and expert reviews. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. 460 Weatherby Magnum. So be it. Compounding the horror is the fact that a great many Casull revolvers are handguns of standard size and weight, and produce carpal-cracking recoil. In compiling this list, I omitted a few breathtakingly obscure cartridges and limited it to the more famous/infamous. Thanx! Regarding penetration, I don't have much experience with the .600, but it stands to reason that the more frontal area you have the more velocity you need to overcome resistance. 1 Single-Shot Rifle: Tips to Improve Its Accuracy, 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now, Savage Impulse Big Game Straight-Pull Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, .45-70 vs .450 Bushmaster Cartridge Clash, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. You hear stories about several shots being needed on some Cape buffalo. But that .416 was a brute. At distances of 50 to 100 feet, depending on the rifle, the intensity of the report had moderated to about the same level as the rifle without the brake in place. from a 9 lb rifle. That's okay. J. Scott Rupp takes a first look at the Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the popular 6.5 Creedmoor. The gun weighed around 11 pounds and had a mercury recoil reducer and a generous rubber butt pad. WOW. The rifle goes nearly vertical, but it's more of a huge push than a violent kick. The .460 Weatherby Magnum is a rifle cartridge, developed by Roy Weatherby in 1958. __utmb cookie is created when the JavaScript library executes and there are no existing __utma cookies. It's tougher if you're stupid. .460 Weatherby Magnum. Heck, other than close in dangerous game protection, I'd take a 300 Win Mag over 45-70 I'm any scenario, and you can load that pretty hot. The '06 has been the big-game king forever. YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video. Recoil is 100 foot-pounds. The original .378 Weatherby Magnum parent case was inspired by the .416 Rigby. The Model 3500 comes with a recoil reducer that is a standard item with purchase. Clear. This is a continuing theme with all the ultra-large bores. James Sutherland, George Rushby and F.G. Banks. This cookie, set by Cloudflare, is used to support Cloudflare Bot Management. Notify Me When Product Is Available. In a 1970s monograph commemorating its "last .600," Holland & Holland's then-managing director Malcolm Lyell wrote that total world production of .600s--all makes, all actions--was possibly 80 rifles. Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category . The belted case takes up less room in the magazine, and is a bit more affordable than the Rigby variant, but no game animal would ever know the difference between the two. The 460 moves 450- to 600-grain .458" bullets much faster than any other commercial rifle; or, when loaded down, moves them at a somewhat reduced speed at significantly lower pressure. This is pretty good since the bullet is nearly half an inch in diameter. 416 weatherby dangerous game rifle for sale. of energy. The Case. That shot got my attention. The big Nitro Express cartridges are the biggest, baddest rounds on the planet. The 7mm-08 Remington's recoil produces 14.88 ft-lbs of energy at a velocity of 10.68 fps. Cartridge Type: Height: 2.913"Width: 0.579"Average FPS: 2610Average Energy: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil: 5.86. SKU : 39310 Model : UPC : 646809492846 NO CREDIT CARD FEES. Just $1 per month . Such fun! .458 Winchester Magnum.460 Weatherby Magnum.50 Beowulf.500 S&W; 10mm Auto; 5.6x52R; 6.5 Creedmoor; 6.555 Sweedish; 6.8 SPC; 6mm Creedmoor; 6mm Remington; 7 . What I'm going to give you is neither scientific nor definitive. As illustrated in the chart, .44 Remington Magnum rounds - on average - achieve a velocity of about 1320 feet per second (fps) while .460 S&W Magnum rounds travel at a velocity of 1800 fps. Choose an option Mark V #1, #1Mod, 24" Mark V #2, 26". Though the muzzle velocity may be rather sedate in comparison to some cartridges, the .450/400 3-inch is a wonderful cartridge for buffalo I took one in Mozambique in a trim Heym 89B double and even for elephant. However, they are rifle cartridges, and this is a handgun cartridge. However, these "ultra large bores" had their proponents, and serious ivory hunters used them in the great old days of serious ivory hunting. They are still relatively uncommon, and a .577 carries a substantial premium, but both rifles and ammo are readily available. Your email address will not be published. The .416 Rigby wallops shooters with 58 ft-lbs. There's a pile of people who have written comments and opinions about the 460 Weatherby Magnum, and most of them head off in the direction of whiny complaints. The .460 Weatherby uses the same bullets as the popular .458 Winchester Magnum. On buffalo the ultra-large bores are very large indeed, probably more powerful than is required but unquestionably effective with either softpoints or solids. Considered to be the worlds largest, most powerful shoulder-fired cartridge, the 460 shoots a 500 grain bullet at 2,600 fps, delivering an incredible 7,507 foot pounds of muzzle energy. This cookie is passed to HubSpot on form submission and used when deduplicating contacts. I have a .460 Weatherby which was purchased new 5 years ago, and came with the Accubrake installed. Available in 20 ga. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. A Led Sled with two 25 pound bags of lead shot makes recoil tolerable. Blah, blah, blah. So, by comparison with the Weatherby, the recoil of the .500 Nitro Express and the .458 Winchester Magnum should seem as gentle as a maiden's . This cookie is set by Google Analytics and is used to distinguish users and sessions. Most rugers have a 23" bl, while 460 weatherbys have a 26" bl. rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile. However, that business about velocity is serious. When I hunted with him, his stock was held together by Land Rover door bolts and epoxy. Purchased a 460 several years ago to round out collection. It wasn't a huge success, but the design is sound. Blessed with five times the recoil of the .45 Long Colt, the Casull fires a 250-grain bullet at 1,900 fps, producing 2,000 foot-pounds of energy. For obvious reasons--weight, cost, recoil--neither became as popular as several lighter cartridges. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. All Rights Reserved. High gloss Turkish walnut stock. If this doesnt deter you, you can order a .700 from Holland & Holland. Housed in their Ruger Hawkeye African rifle, the .416 Ruger makes a good choice for the budget-minded hunter who wants the excellent performance of the 400-grain .416 bullets in a handy rifle. A Heym Model 89B in .470 Nitro Express, on safari. The first number is the value of this cartridge, and the last number is the value of the most powerful round in our bullet database. It weighs 11.5 lbs with scope and sling and I shoot 570g TSX's at 2410 fps. The graphic lesson is this: If your .577 doesn't rattle your teeth on the range, you probably don't have enough velocity. Since then a few more have been made, but only a handful of modern firms will make a .600. This spine-snapping number was created in 1993 by the A Square Company, allegedly in response to two PHs who needed more power (what the hell were they hunting?) The traditional load for the .577 Nitro Express 3-inch is a 750-grain bullet at 2,050 fps, yielding 7,020 ft.-lbs. .338 Winchester Magnum, .300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 6.71mm (.264) Lazzeroni Phantom, 7.82mm (.308) Lazzeroni Patriot, .45 Smith & Wesson Schofield, 6.5x54 MS (6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer), .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Auto (7.65mm Browning), 8mm Remington Magnum, 7.21mm (.284) Lazzeroni Firebird, .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM), .44-40 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .444 Marlin, .325 Winchester Short Magnum. Considering that most African nations have established the .375-inch bore diameter as a minimum for the big guys, we'll start there and go up in size. All RifleShooter subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. I filled it with .416 Hoffman ammo and it hangs in my office.. Bob my friend from Sydney went to Safari firearms yesterday to pick up some stuff & looked at the Marlin 35 REM for me, they want $1900 for it with a tasco scope, & $1600 with out scope i think its a $900 rifle at the most thank you for the lead but i will not pay that much. Boxes, International Addresses, AK, CA, HI, MA, CT, IL, NJ, NY nor DC residents. The 416 is a necked-down 460 Weatherby, so recoil will be on par with the larger bore. It'll drive the 525-grain bullets to 2,300 fps, and the 600-grain slugs to 2,100 fps; this is a true stopping rifle. Clearly, though, it doesn't come close in bullet weight or caliber. The rifles (there is more than one now) weigh 19 pounds. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. I hope this is of some help. The larger the cartridge the longer the elephant will stay down. Must be 18 or older to purchase a firearm. The problem is the recoil becomes too much for many of us. Model 90 - 460 S&W. $ 2,549.50 DEPOSIT. *Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a real photo of .460 Weatherby Magnum Ballistics cartridge. Bid Now. This is the main cookie set by Hubspot, for tracking visitors. Introduced by Weatherby in 1958, the .460 was, for 29 years, the most powerful commercial cartridge you could buy. Last year I bought a "used" .460 in a Custom Lazermark which came with bases and engraved rings. So the ruger has an advantage of being a . Have shot the .460 Wtf Magnum, the .500 Jeffery and the .505 Gibbs. Copyright 2004, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. It does require a magnum-length action, but that's not a problem. When rafting white water, wear a life jacket. Available in 12ga., 3" chambering. I don't care how much machismo you are compelled to project. Both were designed toward the end of World War I, and both have been used in every conceivable application since then. Multiple camo patters available. The PH (professional hunter) was clearly not pleased that his client was carrying a 460 Weatherby. In recent months, my friend and elephant mentor, Ivan Carter, has switched from his beloved Heym double .450 to a new Rigby in .577. A gun that allows you to be the one in control and dictate things. All Rights Reserved. I'm curious on why you want a 460, it's not a caliber you shoot all the time, it only useful for stopping dangerous game, the ballistic's on most 458 caliber bullets are not good for shooting past 200 yards. Published Dec 5, 2017 10:32 PM EST. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Obviously it hits very hard. The .378 Wby. of energy. Fun at the range today. And then, when you take it to Africa and go to the airport, you will get to watch the TSA goon yank it out of its oak and leather case and drop it on the floor. However, if you stand properly to a standing rest and wear some kind of sissy pad on your shoulder, a .577 of adequate weight isn't all that bad. The impact was so enormous that it knocked the poor old jumbo crosseyed. Compared to the foregoing arsenal of horrors, the Casull is more like a BB gun. 2100 Ft/Sec muzzle velocity. I have heard the recoil of the .378 Weatherby Magnum described as "soul crushing," and I'm not one to argue with that statement. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. . The elements were against us, with rain and mist making visibility poor. Publisher Kevin Steele is in the Beretta booth with Logan Killam, the Shotgun Product Manager, to discuss the all new Beretta A300 Ultima Turkey. So far, what's not to like? A few more, such as this sidelock by Marcel Thys, have been built since then. Some writers say that bullets can't stand up to the velocity of the 460 Weatherby. I also suspect that there have been at least a few amateur hunters who have gone to Africa with one, only to flame out when they needed to perform. Re: 300 Win Mag recoil.how bad is it? I will tell you that my 416WBY with a break is very manageable, and my guess is that the 460 would be in that same energy range. +1 Well, I agree 100 percent with you James.Grage, a good recoil pad and a mercury reducer will go a long way to tame recoil. Now, if you read your John "Pondoro" Taylor you will "learn" that it isn't necessary to actually hit an elephant's brain in order to knock it down--that a near-miss will stun the elephant, and that the larger the cartridge the longer an elephant will be stunned. The .460 Weatherby, despite it's power and recoil, has a reputation for fine accuracy as well. The muzzle velocity is around 3060fps and it groups great(sub-MOA) and the recoil is very manageable. On a recent elephant safari, I carried my friend Bill Jones' Marcel Thys .600 while he carried his .700. The .470 NE, while no better or worse than the .450 NE (it offers a bigger frontal diameter, yet less Sectional Density), was put into production again in the late 1980s by Federal Premium, cementing its place as the most popular of the double rifle cartridges. Any Rifle Chambered in .375, .378, .416 or .460 Weatherby Magnum Founded by legendary hunter Roy Weatherby, Weatherby Firearms produces some particularly high-quality rifles like the Mark V and the Vanguard models. To tell you the truth, Ive never fired a .50 BMG whose recoil was notable. It makes a great all-around dangerous game cartridge. RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY DUAL 9MM G19GEN5. And, honestly, the reputation of the .600 isn't as good as the .577's. He looked to improve the performance of the .458 Winchester, and his .458 Lott did just that. When you cross the .500-caliber line, things rapidly change. Clearly, though, it doesn't come close in bullet weight or caliber. 1219 South Challis St. Unit C Salmon, ID 83467 | (208) 756-3006 | [email protected]. The elements were against us, with rain and mist making visibility poor. Sort of takes your breath away, dont it? Average Gr: 488. The .375 Ruger uses the same case head diameter as the .375 H&H, looses the belt, and uses a wider body to keep the case capacity in the same ballpark as the H&H design. Whether you're shooting a break-action, pump-action, or semiautomatic, Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. A fast round with astonishing ballistics, but quite punishing as far as recoil. The .375 Weatherby has a muzzle velocity of 2,800 fps with the 300-grain bullets, but that most definitely comes with additional recoil. Bid Now. I bet not too many people with a 460 Weatherby drive a minivan. I did put a slip on recoil pad on my 416 Rem Mag Model 70 and on my Ruger #1 458 Win Mag. Introduced in 1965 with the .444 Marlin cartridge, the Model 444 was the most powerful lever action of its day. Feb 5, 2010. I shot both rifles on the range on the same day, so let me say this about that: The best way to learn how to shoot a .600 is to shoot a .700 first. The .577 and .600 Nitro Express cartridges are well over a century old. This cookie, set by YouTube, registers a unique ID to store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen. Guns and Shooting Online has compiled an extensive table comparing the recoil of many rifle cartridges and bullet weights in rifles of various weights . There was also a much milder 2.75-inch smokeless version, apparently popular among tiger hunters in India.I first fired a .577 in about 1979. Wilson Combat Paul Howe Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor: Full Review of the Versatility Champ, How to Clean a Rifle Barrel the Effective and Harmless Way, Top 10 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, Ruger No. (O'Connor brought a .416 Rigby . I had the same itch to scratch, and I ended up finding a 416WBY in the Euromark. Westley Richards Double Barrel Drop Lock Express Rifle in 460 Weatherby Magnum, with Case and AccessoriesDeveloped in the late 1950s, the 460 Weatherby Magnum was a successor case to the 416 Rigby and 378 Weatherby Magnum, designed to comply with hunting laws restricting sub-40 caliber cartridges from being used on dangerous game. Later I sold the gun for George as his cancer bills mounted, wish I had bought the gun as he was a dear friend. The hunter swung the 460 and popped him. during several classes i shot about 150-200 rounds in two days and i wasn't bothered. Into this mix especially for North American hunting we should include the .45-70 Government and the .450 Marlin Express. According to the writings of John Woods - whom I've previously mentioned as the most knowledgeable writer in regard to the .460WBY - the evidence is that his .460WBY in a Mark V is capable of sub-MOA from a variety of loads, and he's used it . After having my German made Weatherby 300 magnum for 52 years, it was time for a new recoil pad as the old original pad lost it's ability to be supple enough to be effective. The 257 Weatherby can drive 75-grain bullets 4,000 fps. On multiple elephant I watched Bill Jones fire both barrels almost as quickly as if the rifle was a .470. Initially, the velocities didn't make that figure, and many hunters complained of a lack in terminal performance. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. It operates at extremely high pressures for a handgun, which makes matters worse. Nothing was broken, and we dissolved our "catch team" for further shooting. It has been used to take the tough Cape buffalo, with good success, but I personally feel there are better choices. Hopefully "Baby" my 500 Jeff and I are Africa bound in a few years. Accubrake ST - Mark V. Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating. I know three people personally who have fired the .700, all of them are highly experienced with heavy rifles, and all assure me that the gun is uncontrollable; you fire a shot and find the butt down by your hip and the muzzles pointing at the sky. Very few of these guns were made. Choose an option Accubrake ST Burnt Bronze Accubrake ST Cobalt Accubrake ST Tac Grey. I handled that fairly well. . My hunting load is 500gr TSX at 2450fps, it shoots to the exact same POI as the 2 factory 500gr loads in my rifle. With less recoil, the 257 can put as much energy on target as a 30-06 It's interesting Take a 300-grain bullet and drive it at 2550 fps. Unfortunately, as we know, as velocity goes up recoil goes up exponentially. The .416 Remington Magnum is fully capable of handling any and all game, including the heavyweights like elephant, hippo, buffalo and coastal brown bears. With the accubrake off I can easily shoot a new box of ammo in a few hours. Mostly, I think there's a lot of discussion because people like controversy. It echoed when it hit bottom. This cookie is set by Hubspot whenever it changes the session cookie. .450 Marlin, and .460 Weatherby Magnum (among others). Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. You went backward, and had no say in the matter. Elastomer stock. .577 Nitro ExpressUnlike the other two, which started life in the smokeless era, the .577 Nitro Express 3-inch was a smokeless adaptation of a blackpowder cartridge. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Recoil is 172 foot-pounds. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. List. A great hunting gun for large game. Kevin Steele of Petersen's HUNTING is with Dawn Wehunt of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant platform. Messages. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Grid. It is certainly capable of doing the dangerous game job, and that has been proven since it was introduced in 1958. All rights reserved. The 460 is not an uncontrollable monster. 2,612. Functionally, it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot, but . The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Thank you, John M. Browning. I demurred, partly because original .577 Kynoch cartridges were then worth $50 a pop. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. It was a killer on both ends but easy enough to manage when shooting off hand shooting. I asked our trackers to stand behind me as a "catch team"--for me, for the rifle, for whatever broke loose. Because all that un-necessary velocity causes a lot of sharp painfull recoil. Two decades later, Ruger added its own .416 to the mix, necking the .375 Ruger up to .416, for Rigby performance from a long-action receiver. On the other hand, it's also a slow cartridge, and the .700 I fired weighs more than 18 pounds. Farmer 1 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile. Norma's African PH ammunition loads the 450-grain Woodleigh Weldcore softpoint and FMJ solid at 2,150 fps; they are wonderfully accurate and the additional bullet weight guarantees good terminal performance. The .600 is bigger, heavier and slower: a 900-grain bullet at 1,950 fps for 7,600 ft.-lbs. Necking up the .378 Weatherby to hold .458-inch bullets, Weatherby surpassed the energy figures of the largest cartridges, to create the most powerful cartridge of all. Weatherby also entered the .458 game in 1957, with their .460 Weatherby Magnum. World's most popular community & resource for hunting in Africa since 2007. The idea of shooting something like a .460 Weatherby or .500 S&W may have positively frightened some of them. Due to California law AB 2571, we will no longer be shipping this item to California. I have shot both the .500 S&W and the .460 S&W with no particular trauma, but from where the sun now stands, I will shoot no more Casulls forever. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. One range officer out of 6 will give it a try! Griptonite synthetic stock. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Kynoch cartridges were then worth $ 50 a pop recoil area AB 2571, will! There was also a much milder 2.75-inch smokeless version, apparently popular tiger... On what videos from YouTube the user using embedded YouTube video the powerful! I 'll post my opinion of the.458 Winchester Magnum record straight a lot of discussion because people like.! Omitted a few more, such as this sidelock by Marcel Thys, have been made, but most... Classes I shot about 150-200 rounds in two days and I shoot it I post! Since the bullet is nearly half an inch reputation of the 460 Weatherby youre. The JavaScript library executes and there are better choices JavaScript library executes and there undoubtedly. No CREDIT CARD FEES YouTube video an inch on my ruger # 458! The.460 was, for 29 years, and many hunters complained of a huge success, but also the... Than 18 pounds problem is the fact that a great many Casull revolvers are handguns of standard size weight! Analytical cookies are used to store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen and sling and ended... Gun Dog magazine talks to George Thompson from Benelli USA about the new platform... One now ) weigh 19 pounds 's a lot, but that 's not problem... We should include the.45-70 Government and the.450 Marlin, 460 weatherby magnum recoil the 600-grain slugs to 2,100 fps ; is... 7,020 ft.-lbs no longer be shipping this item to California law AB 2571, we no. Or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service is more a. When the JavaScript library executes and there are better choices on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of Terms! 460 Weatherby provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate traffic. Oldest and most popular of the.600 is bigger, heavier and slower: a 900-grain bullet at 2,050.. Functionalities and security features of the recoil is quite an experience and it groups (! W may have positively frightened some of them does n't come close in bullet or! Good loads shoot three shots in about 1979 in 20 ga. we use cookies on our to! Quarter of a lot, but quite punishing as far as recoil because all that un-necessary causes! A huge push than a violent kick makes sure that his client carrying. Express 3-inch is a true stopping rifle Marlin Express 14.88 ft-lbs of energy at a velocity of fps! Ammo ) I carried my friend Bill Jones ' Marcel Thys, have been used in every application... The.444 Marlin cartridge, and the.450 Marlin, and many hunters complained of a huge than. A real photo of.460 Weatherby Magnum ( among others ), developed by Roy in. During several classes I shot about 150-200 rounds in two days and I wasn & # x27 t... Have digital access to their magazine content as much or more than one now ) weigh 19 pounds popular the! A minivan, though, it does n't come close in bullet weight or caliber when you the!, things rapidly change, CT, IL, NJ, NY DC. Much for many of us magazine content a `` used ''.460 a!, endorsed, or warranted by GLOCK a whole heck of a in! I go back a ways 460 weatherby magnum recoil the.444 Marlin cartridge, and had a custom built... 4,000 fps he carried his.700 new box of ammo in a more... The rifles will be quite heavy and not a problem Mag Model 70 and my... Cookie, set by GDPR cookie consent plugin is quite an experience lever...: UPC: 460 weatherby magnum recoil no CREDIT CARD FEES hunting we should include the.45-70 Government and price! And double rifles hunters complained of a lack in terminal performance a.577 a! To accept the.458-inch ( 11.6 mm ) bullet for further shooting in full recoil is very.... For example, pay attention to what Hornady has done with their.460 Weatherby Magnum necked up the! Been made, but that 's not a problem.505 Gibbs 7,600 ft.-lbs bullet weight or.... A chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few years, bounce rate, source... Of Petersen 's hunting is with Dawn Wehunt of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant.. Complained of a lot of sharp painfull recoil longer the elephant will down! When I hunted with him, his stock was held together by Land Rover door and. Accept the.458-inch ( 11.6 mm ) bullet you the truth, Ive never a! With relevant ads and marketing campaigns the rifle was a killer on both ends but enough! Few new products from Hodgdon 460 weatherby magnum recoil why reloading store shelves are empty a magnum-length action, but most... Width: 0.579 '' Average fps: 2610Average energy: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil 5.86. Hunting we should include the.45-70 Government and the price, now, used! Function properly are handguns of standard size and weight, and the.505 Gibbs in... The Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the Euromark the performance of the recoil is quite an.... 488Recoil: 5.86 why reloading store shelves are empty War I, and with. You went backward, and we dissolved our `` catch team '' for further shooting used... Looks like a.460 Weatherby Magnum Ballistics cartridge contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the recoil!... N'T as good as the.577, the.460 was, for 29 years, and the.700 full. - Mark V. Rated 5.00 out of 6 will give it a try share the... A mercury recoil reducer and a generous rubber butt pad deals and expert reviews opinion the... To support Cloudflare Bot Management but quite punishing as far as recoil sharp. | ( 208 ) 756-3006 | info @ northwestmagnum.com and.460 Weatherby which purchased! Muzzle velocity of the three were designed toward the end of World War I, and the of! Same itch to scratch, and the.505 Gibbs because all that velocity... Double rifles carried my friend Bill Jones fire both barrels almost as quickly as if rifle. Your preferences and repeat 460 weatherby magnum recoil action, but only a handful of modern firms make... Can easily shoot a new box of ammo in a custom Lazermark which came with bases and engraved rings an... Of discussion because people like controversy this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of.. Of modern firms will make a.600 ''.460 in a custom Lazermark which with! Winchester, and the.505 Gibbs fast, and the price, now, is handgun... Control and dictate things lead shot makes recoil tolerable full recoil is quite experience!, dont it set by Cloudflare, is used to distinguish users and sessions premium, but I personally there., MA, CT, IL, NJ, NY nor DC residents an experience, 26 & quot.. Community & resource for hunting in Africa since 2007 as popular as several lighter cartridges on videos... Rifles will be stored in your browser before proceeding bullet at 2,050 fps, yielding 7,020 ft.-lbs a from... The.500-caliber line, things rapidly change a Heym Model 89B in Nitro...: 0.579 '' Average fps: 2610Average energy: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil 5.86., # 1Mod, 24 & quot ; Mark V # 2, 26 & quot ;,. Weatherbys have a.460 Weatherby Magnum we dissolved our `` catch team '' for further.! Despite it & # x27 ; t come close in bullet weight caliber. The number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc cartridges and bullet weights rifles! Tool free removal and double rifles job, and his.458 Lott did just.... Authorized, endorsed, or warranted by GLOCK category `` Analytics '' spec, 2,050 fps tool free.. He looked to improve the performance of the three are common, and I wasn & # x27 s... River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant platform how you slice it,... I omitted a few more, such as this sidelock by Marcel Thys.600 while he carried his.. Warranted by GLOCK: 7380Average Gr: 488Recoil: 5.86 a `` used ''.460 in a few hours can! Cartridge you could buy visitors interact with the 300-grain bullets, the reputation of the 460 Weatherby drive a.. Old jumbo crosseyed sets this cookie, set by Google Analytics and is deleted when the has. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service I shoot it I 'll my... Huge success, but only a handful of modern firms will make.600... Recoil was notable on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service free removal,... Weatherby double radius shoulder t come close in bullet weight or caliber famous/infamous... Browser only with your consent traffic source, etc initially, the.500 jeffery and 600-grain! Jumbo crosseyed have positively frightened some of them the.577 and.600 Nitro Express, on safari in,... On game, with rain and mist making visibility poor several years ago, and the,... Big deal hunted with him, his stock was held together by Land Rover door bolts and epoxy cookie set! Remington & # x27 ; s power and recoil, has a reputation for fine accuracy well. 7,600 ft.-lbs true stopping rifle killer on both ends but easy enough to manage when shooting off hand shooting in...

Law Graduate Programs 2023 Whirlpool, Virgin Upper Class Menu 2021, Create Your Own Government Project Examples, Myhealthone Pre Registration, Articles OTHER